Ford Focuses... Foci?

Either way... I am having to replace my car due to some dizzy bint running into the back of me, and have come across a 2000 registerd 1.8 Focus that is in really good condition with below average mileage.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on specific Bad Things to look out for on these? Dealer is offering a 4 month warranty on it and it has 10 months MOT left so I am fairly confident it is sound, but it never hurts to do a bit of checking ;)

One problem I managed to spot easily enough was the stereo which is a bit basic and moulded into the central console. I assume you can get adapters that will allow me to use my other stereo in it?

Regards & thanks;

Richard

Reply to
Richard Parkin

Yes to the radio DIM adapter, it's 1.5-sized DIM, so a half of a full one bigger, make sense? Probably not.

2000 focus should be pretty solid, just check for the usual suspects. If it's cheaper than you expect, why is it? You mention a dealer being involved....sounds slightly suspect due to the 'below average mileage' comment.

I'm not a full-time genius mechanic unlike mrcheerful and Tim, including many others here, so I'll refrain from commenting just yet on the problems I had with mine from the same year, until I can ascertain whether it's common.

Reply to
David R

"Richard Parkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Radio / Tape player is easy to change, you'll need the fascia adapter (available in silver to match) and a wiring adapter- easily bought online from caraudiodirect or incarexpress...

What model are you looking at?

Otherwise,

a) Climate pack a must. (a/c, heated electric mirrors, and heated front screen.) Focus ventilation isnt brilliant and will steam in winter, cook in summer without a/c. Try to check the a/c is working and/or budget for a recharge. b) Pollen filter covers often leak resulting in damp passenger footwell- a silicone gun and patience will usually seal it. c) Check carefully the V in the tailgate just below the glass, and the ends of the plastic trim piece for rust. Stone chips on the bonnet/bumper also common. d) check just infront of the rear wheels, above the plastic sill cover for stone chips and rust (esp if its a 5dr)- where the cover meets the paint work with rear door open is also common. e) Check below the rubbing strip on the front doors for stone chips and bubbling. Front mudflaps solve problems with d) and e) f) As its a Zetec E engine, check for misfires around 2000rpm caused by worn out HT leads. Only genuine Ford replacements are any good. g) If the car doesnt come with at least 2 keys (1 plipper) walk away, or insist the dealer provides a full set in the deal. Do NOT buy a car with just one key. h) Check all tyres for even wear. Foci if ok, will wear their tyres completely evenly. i) On the test drive, it should be firm (slightly firmer if a Zetec) and utterly composed no matter how you drive it. Any strange knocks, twitchyness or otherwise means something is wrong. j) Check the central locking works on all doors- if it locks and immediately unlocks an actuator has failed. k) The reverse idler on the iB5 'box isnt the strongest, and can shed teeth - check for a clicking noise when reversing. l) Rear wheel bearings can wear out - listen for a droning from the rear. m) buy a metallic. n) all other checks apply-a service history a good sign.

Getting late, i've probably forgotten several items..

tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Found them at

Also noted the extra bit required to let you use the remote stalk - =A350! Had forgotten about that...

It isnt cheaper than expected which is why I want to go and look at it tomorrow armed with as much info as possible!

It's below what my insurance company classes as average milage; it has about about as many miles on it as I have done since 2000 so I am not overly suspicious of it. It claims to have FSH so any milage issue should be fairly evident.

Oh - that sounds ominous ;)

Reply to
Richard Parkin

LX I think...

Didnt spot any a/c, but it was a bit dark on the forecourt. Never been a big fan (arf) of a/c anyway, though I never really looked at it from the steaming pov...

Well that should be easy enough to check given the weather here at the minute!

None and none! There is a scratch on the rear bumper, but nothing major.

Well worth knowing.

I assume the flaps being colour co-ordinated are factory fitted, but will check for chips in case not.

I assume they are also expensive then? Ho hum...

I wish you had told me that last year ;)

Tyres looked new-ish, and not just blacked up new.

Reviews I have been reading do say this about the Focus. Will be a bit of a new experience for me ;)

And I know how much of pain fixing that can be!

That sounds bad - what happens to the teeth?

Musn't do a mother in law joke here...

Doesn't get more metalic than silver! Boring, but hard to actively dislike...

Assuming it all checks out, but I bought my last car from this garage and it was exactly as advertised for 4 years... until it got smashed up of course ;(

No, its early! You remembered a lot more than I did - thanks for that ;)

Reply to
Richard Parkin

One really should never look at a car from anything other than a completely sober POV.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

The pollen filter went mental and caused a more than damp (soaking) footwell, which was nice.

Minor problem with reverse on the gearbox, sorted out through a friendly garage, who didn't even charge for messing with it.

They're pretty solid cars, I like them. It's much like the adults' 'corsa', small families or individuals go for corsas, and everybody else and their dog aged 25+ goes for a focus.

The only issue with buying something second hand is the fact problems can be badly temporarily repaired, so you think everything's okay. But you pays yer money and takes yer choice...

Reply to
David R

In message , Richard Parkin writes

It was standard on the LX from 1999 onwards. As Tim says, it needs it for the de-misting of the front screen in winter. I've got a 98 build LX without aircon and the misting is a problem.

About £40-£50 but should last 60-80k miles.

Its a really nice drive. It was certainly the best in its class at the time and its still good today. I think the slightly softer ride on the LX is better for everyday use.

Other things which can go wrong are the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) which causes the speedo to drop to zero and the engine may stall at junctions. The fuel tank sender can play up causing the gauge to read empty. The anti-roll bar links wore out quite quickly on early models but by this time they all should have been replaced. The replacement links were of better quality.

None of the above is particularly serious though.

The standard CD player is quite good. The remote control stalk is a godsend and worth keeping.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Focuses.

It's a proper noun.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Paul Giverin wrote in news:wSrlkcB3zTqFFwoN@10.0.0.3:

I'm following this thread with keen interest as I'll probably be looking at buying a Focus myself some time soon. One thing I've noticed is that although A/C is standard on the LX, it doesn't appear to be fitted on the Zetec spec. This surprised me because I always thought that Zetec fell somewhere between LX and Ghia. Something to watch out for.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

In message , Stu writes

At that time, the spec was (in order of price) CL, Zetec, LX and Ghia. The Zetec had no A/C and had the cheaper 4000 stereo. It did get alloys though. The LX had A/C, the 5000 stereo with remote stalk but it only had steel wheels. The Zetec was £500 cheaper than the LX.

I think things have changed now with the Zetec priced higher than the LX.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Indeed- the Zetec (with a/c) is far far easier to sell on than the mk1 LX (without alloys)

Similar money when you get to the Mk2's.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Latin scholar, perhaps?

Reply to
Lofty.

Some of us did suffer short bursts of Latin. Forgotten most of it now. Thankfully.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

My mum made me do it. She had visions of me being a doctor or perhaps a Roman Catholic priest (The services used to be in Latin when I was a kid). She relented when I got 14% for my end of year exam.

I know its a dead language but I've since been told its a good basis for learning several European languages like Portuguese, Spanish, French, Italian and Romanian.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In addition to this... what do I do about a child safety seat that was fitted in the car? It wasn't a huge smash (maybe 30mph into me who was parked up) and the write-off is due to the age of and general worthlessness of the car, but the only other similar bit of safety equipment I have experience with says to replace it in the event of an accident even if it appears undamaged. Kid wasn't in it if that makes a difference...

Am going to go and make the bloke an offer on the Focus today or tomorrow - I hope the prospect of a wad of used 20s will make him accept said offer even though it is quite a bit below the sticker price ;)

Reply to
Richard Parkin

Ad it to the claim.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I got my eye on a '03 focus zetec - no aircon or many extras prob cheaper than average, is that ok to go for 1st Focus ?

Got a Corsa- c myself and px for a Focii , Good move ????

Reply to
Mike

Getting rid of a Corsa is always a good move ;o)

Reply to
Richard Parkin

...as is getting a Focus :-)

Chris