Tyre noise

Which factors determine tyre noise? Is it just the tyre, or does wheel geometry play a part?

I had a Dunlop SP Sport Blueresponse fitted to front N/S. Not what I had ordered, but a mobile tyre fitter came and said they didn't have what I ordered after all. So he fitted the Blueresponse which he had in his van. I would normally pick a low-noise tyre.

This tyre is extremely noisy from the drivers RHD seat. The noise is so bad that it really spoils the car. The noise is clearly road dependent, and I checked that the inner wheel arch plastic lining is intact. The pattern now has 2-3mm left.

Reply to
johannes

What's the label roadnoise figure for the road noise from that tyre and from the one you wanted?

Reply to
Adrian

The Dunlop SP Sport Bluresponse tyre noise is listed as 68db, which should be OK.

Reply to
johannes

A professional tyre fitter ? Don't make me laugh, anyone that would fit one, odd, unordered tyre on the front of any road car is not a pro.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Bugger me, there's a lot of amateur volunteers spending their time sitting around in tyre depots and vans around the country.

Reply to
Adrian

I know they are out there, but why do people use them?

Reply to
MrCheerful

We'll call that a "whoosh", shall we?

Reply to
Adrian

Covenience of fitting at your work place; donked a tyre when pushed towards the curb by a heavy lorry.

Reply to
johannes

But why did you accept that tyre, fitted at the front?

Reply to
MrCheerful

Someone doing a job is not a professional at it unless they can display competence to do the job properly. Obviously I should have realised that 'mobile tyre fitter' and professional are not the same thing at all, and should not have mentioned it. It just amazes me that a bloke in a van is allowed to fit one of the most important safety items on a car without proper training or updating in important details of the job, what else did he do wrong at the same time? I know quite a bit about surgery, but I would not dream of working on a human unless it was life or death.

Reply to
MrCheerful

68dB in the standard 205/55/16V, which is as quiet as you can easily get.

Not great for tread wear, but they should have lasted more than a month.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

You should never have different brands on the same axle , Grip under acceleration , braking and cornering will not be the same infact in some EU countries you can't have different brands on the vehicle full stop.

Reply to
steve robinson

Which, of course, they'll be with a new tyre and a 3/4-worn one, too. Or one that's underinflated a bit.

Sure, mismatching isn't ideal, but I'd much rather have mismatched decent tyres than matched AliBaba-brand-it-yourself ditchfinders.

Really...? Which ones...?

Reply to
Adrian

Has the wear on the other side increased as well?

Does the new tyre have the same load rating as the other tyres?

Have you had the tracking done? If you damaged a tyre the tracking has almost certainly been put out as well.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Spain requires identical tyres on each pair (ie fr. pair or back pair)

Reply to
MrCheerful

On 06/06/2016 23:30, Peter Hill wrote: [...]

The tyre wear is fairly even.

Dn't know, but assume this is not really an issue for a 1400 Kg passenger car carrying 1-2 persons driving non-agreesively and within speed limits.

Tracking seems OK, but can it really affect tyre noise? And why is it assymetrical?

I was first thinking that there might be a clue in the tyre name: "Bluresponse"; maybe they use harder compound to reduce rolling resistance? But then the published noise number 68db is quite good.

But I have noticed is that the noise is very sensitive to different road surfaces. That puts some doubt on how they obtain the noise numbers.

Reply to
johannes

Never had any problems with acceleration , braking or cornering.

Reply to
johannes

Yes, it is. Check.

Reply to
Adrian

It's a standardised lab test.

Reply to
Adrian

This is beginning to sound like a Troll...

I wrecked a tyre on a badly lit "traffic calming" kerb a few years ago. At midnight in a dodgy area of Manchester I chose to drive the 1.5 miles home on the flat tyre.

E-Tyres fitted a matching replacement next day. I would not have accepted an odd tyre under any circumstances.

Road noise is a distraction, some road surfaces are deliberately made noisy, like the slip road off the M60 at the Ashton junction. It makes the driver speed conscious as he approaches traffic signals. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H