Tyre Prices!

Hello,

I wanted some new tyres and the quotes are VERY different. I can't see any on-line site that doesn't say "PHONE US" for latest prices. Why not just print them, all i want is a rough idea. My car has 195/60 15" and I want 4. National have quoted £80 but they are cheap nasty ones in my opinion. It's not a place I would take my car again. The main dealer wants £80 each for Kleber made by Michelin. The car has AVON tyres. Anyone know how much an AVON tyre is ? Or any sites that will give prices. Even Demon Tweeks will not quote them.

Furiously Searching - excluding valve cap/balance/working on a cold day.

Reply to
Ian

brilliant service. Much cheaper than "high street".

Reply to
Max Hamlet

I emailed micheldever tyres and got a very full email response with different brands and prices for the size I'd said. Really good prices too - about the same as Costco for the Michelins, but Micheldever offered a much bigger range.

Reply to
TimM

"Max Hamlet" wrote in news:400ce675$0$61055$ snipped-for-privacy@mercury.nildram.net:

I just ordered four Hankook tyres for a trailer at £28.40 each including VAT and delivery from Mytyres. Avons quoted at £77.60 from the same source.

That compares with £44.69 for Hankook or £85 for Avon locally. I've gone for the Hankook because they seem to be a reputable Korean make with similar specification and I'm not paying extra just for a name.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

IMO the best thing to do is decide what tyre you want, then ring around the tyre places. In my experience, National, Kwik fit, Formula 1, Hi-Q etc. are dear, and the best deals are generally had at small independent tyre places. If you buy whatever the cheapest tyre the chain places, you tend to end up with very poor tyres on your car.

I generally buy my tyres from the same place every time as they're consistently cheap, cheaper than ordering the tyres off the net, and get my tracking done by National, which is dearer, but they do a better job and you can get them to look at things due to their free inspection policy on lots of things like brakes, exhausts and so on. Which is nice when it's cold and you think something might be broken but don't fancy crawling under the car to look.

Reply to
Doki

Not in my experience.

Reply to
Doki

Phone around for prices and don't forget the local small guy.

You want the price for the tyre, INCLUDING fitting, valve, balance and VAT.

Comparisons - my previous car used 195/60 R14 tyres - premium brands like Micheli, Uniroyal, Goodyear, etc.varied from £75 to £120 (yes 120!) + PLUS balance AND vat from the "chains", to £50 all-in for Goodyears (the same Goodyears!) from my local small guy - he charged about the same for Michelins as the big guys last time I asked. You don't have to guess which I used or where I got them from.

Don't worry too much about mixing brands as long as you don't mix them on an axle i.e. do in pairs. My local guy always reckons this is especially true of Michelins. Do I trust his advice - yes, when he can sell me a more expensive tyre but does not.

OK yes - I will plug Goodyear, they've suited me very well in different guises down the years, especially the GT range. Sad to see what's happened to them.

But I don't want ultimate performance ot the ability to flat-out around bends in torrential rain etc. - if that's what you want you shouldn't be looking at the budget tyre from a big manufacturer, or anywhere else for that matter.

Reply to
R. Murphy

Hi, I've managed to find a place near to me that sells 205-60-15 Goodyear NCT

5's for £55 all in. I live in Lincolnshire and they can get hold of most big brand tyres.

Howie

Reply to
Joanne Dean

I got a full set of Avons on my Rover, which were 195/60 15's Think it cost about =A3220 fully fitted, ordered them from=20

and picked a nearby fitting centre they use.=

--=20 Cheers.

- The liver is EVIL and MUST be punished -

Reply to
. BaldyBastard .