Tyres for Zetec alloys?

Hi everyone My current tyre dimensions are: 195/60 R15 V and need some suggestions as to which tyres to go for. So far I have considered Pirelli P6000s and have been quoted £270 for all 4 fitted. My concern is I have read reports that say they are quite noisy. Does anyone have experience of these tyres or can anyone recommend a better tyre for similar money?I don't do many miles (5K) but do tend to do frequent short journeys. TIA.

Reply to
James

In alt.autos.ford.focus James :

Dunno if you meant my recent contribution (aaff) about Pirelli P6000?

They were extremely noisy on my Focus. Now got "Continental Premium Contact 2" a quite new model, no more noise and superior street handling, the Pirellis weren't that bad driving but simply much to noisy. Dunno what this is in EUR? The Contis came with anything included 420 EUR at some local tire service.

The "V" in the tire dimension is making them more expensive, meaning they are good for 240 km/h.

Reply to
Michael Heiming

Hi James, I started off my 2000 V Focus 1.8 zetec with Continental ecos but = found they spun quite a bit when taking off in the wet (I am far from = being a boy racer but like to progress quickly and smoothly) and when = they wore out I changed them at the National "garage" for Avon ZV1's = which were recommended by the bloke there. Because they were a = reasonable price, I assumed that he was getting a good commission on the = sale and that they would not be too good. I was extremely pleased with = them, good traction in the wet, never "let go" once and they were quiet = too. The wear was extremely good and I put about 24k miles into them = when the car went to my daughter 2 months ago, they still had another = estimated 6k miles in them. I must say though that I swapped them front = to back (they are directional) at every annual service and the wear was = even on all of them (still got 4mm on all parts of tread). Believe National are still doing Avon ZVs (probably ZV2 now?) and maybe = with buy one get one free plus Tesco clubcard points, I would certainly = say that after being a bit sceptical at first, I was extremely pleased = with the performance, the wear and the lack of road noise. Have you had a look at blackcircles.co.uk website - they do a comparison = of tyres Cheers Justin ps I would never buy cheap crappy tyres for the sake of saving money, = the most important bit of the car in my opinion

"James" wrote in message = news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

Reply to
Justin Case

"Justin Case" wrote in message news:PfGqe.7199$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-win.ntli.net... Hi James, I started off my 2000 V Focus 1.8 zetec with Continental ecos but found they spun quite a bit when taking off in the wet (I am far from being a boy racer but like to progress quickly and smoothly) and when they wore out I changed them at the National "garage" for Avon ZV1's which were recommended by the bloke there. Because they were a reasonable price, I assumed that he was getting a good commission on the sale and that they would not be too good. I was extremely pleased with them, good traction in the wet, never "let go" once and they were quiet too. The wear was extremely good and I put about 24k miles into them when the car went to my daughter 2 months ago, they still had another estimated 6k miles in them. I must say though that I swapped them front to back (they are directional) at every annual service and the wear was even on all of them (still got 4mm on all parts of tread). Believe National are still doing Avon ZVs (probably ZV2 now?) and maybe with buy one get one free plus Tesco clubcard points, I would certainly say that after being a bit sceptical at first, I was extremely pleased with the performance, the wear and the lack of road noise. Have you had a look at blackcircles.co.uk website - they do a comparison of tyres Cheers Justin ps I would never buy cheap crappy tyres for the sake of saving money, the most important bit of the car in my opinion

end quote.

Thanks for the replies so far. I read that P6000s were noisy on a Focus forum. It looks like Avon are now onto the ZV3's. The other tyre I am considering is the Michelin Pilot Primacy but that might be more tyre than I need. I will definitely check out National to see if they have that deal on. Thanks again.

Reply to
James

Justin Case ( snipped-for-privacy@leastonce.pominvalid) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Excellent tyres for the price ime. I had some on the back of the Alfa 75, and put some on the front of my old man's Xant.

Reply to
Adrian

Bought Michelin Pilot Primacys in the end.

Reply to
James

Probably the best tyre you can buy - perfect compromise for road use between grip, noise and wear. Conti premium contact very similar and often cheaper (though I'm told Costco makes mich cheap)

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yeah I got them from Costco in the end. Their price was much better than blackcircle's.

Reply to
James

Err, are you sure?

I chose my last tyre based on the results of the Autocar tyre test - they did proper tests on the performance of all the tyres included. The Primacys came last, IIRC.

I went for the winning tyre - Eagle F1 GS-D3.

Reply to
Michael Rodgers