Nasssty Tyre Question

Which is better for the money, some nasssty budget brand or a trusted-brand partworn.

And don't say "neither" or "busfare". :-)

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Vim Fuego ( snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The latter. By a country mile.

EVERYBODY who doesn't automatically change all the tyres on a "new-to- them" used car purchase is driving around on part-worns of unknown history.

Can I say "Pikey"?

Reply to
Adrian

So ripping the part-worns off whatever rim they were on and putting them on your rims is not a factor, then?

It would probably be un-PC. So of course you can.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Why? I'm not disagreeing, just asking.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Although I hate to admit it:

A new cheapy tyre is probably better than a partworn for a non very-savvy person.

Reason: The cheapy has (almost definitely) been inspected properly for damage etc. during manufacture. The partworn might have had anything happen to it.

I hate cheap tyres though

Reply to
mrcheerful

Vim Fuego ( snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not hugely, not unless it's been done by a gorilla with no clue as to how to use a tyre fitting machine.

I'm no tyre fitting expert, but I moved a set of tyres from the steel rims that were on my XM onto one set of alloys then, later, onto a second set. They wore out with no sidewall problems whatsoever.

Reply to
Adrian

Ask yourself why did the owner of the partworn want to get rid of it ?

Reply to
Fred

I am so why are you answering a question on tyres?

Reply to
Fred

Why do you post as a sink cleaning Renault?

Reply to
Fred

Simply because they do not grip as well. A good quality tyre will stop in a noticeably (provably) shorter distance . This can and does make the difference as to whether you hit something or kill someone. Good tyres are worth the money. In addition good tyres last a lot longer than cheapy tyres. BUT they get punctured or damaged just as easily and still need maintenance. Good tyres also need less balance weights and are therefore more accurately made in the first place, which must be a good thing all round.

Imagine ploughing into someone with the wheels locked up from panic braking and thinking to yourself 'I could have missed that with good tyres on' or worse still thinking 'that child could be uninjured if .......'

You get the idea? I hate cheapo tyres for good reasons. One of the other thing is, if the owner of the car is willing to risk such a vital safety component for a few pounds saving, then what else is being saved on?

I repeat though, you don't know what has happened to a part worn, it may well be an excellent tyre with no damage at all, or it may have been smashed into a kerb and have the internal non-visible fabric fractured and just waiting to go bang, you just don't know and neither does the tyre fitter.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Fred (Don' snipped-for-privacy@hidden.co.us) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Fred,

If you haven't got anything useful to add, just f*ck off back to flogging Woosung teflon tyres and doing hooky MOTs, OK?

Reply to
Adrian

In article , Fred

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I just scrapped a perfectly good rear tyre on my car because I couldn't be arsed selling it on. I run Vredestein directional tyres, which are pretty cheap, last well and consistently do well in tests/reviews.

On holiday in France, tyre deflates suddenly and writes itself off ( fortunately not damaging the alloy ) So I put on the spare, a non directional Bridgestome that's only done a couple of thousand miles, and get a brand new Michelin ( all I could find locally ) that now goes as a spare.

So, back in the UK, I get my odd ex spare replaced and it goes in the bin....... I could have sold it, it was in good condition, but like I say, couldn't be arsed.

So, there are legit part worn disposals. Personally I'll fit my Vredestein fairly cheepies and be happy with that. ( 4 x 195/60/15's for around =A3200 )

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

There is of course a point where extra money no longer significantly improves safety. The question is where to draw the line.

Reply to
David Taylor

On 2006-12-03, Fred

Oh good. We've finally found a tyre fitting expert to answer all questions about tyre fitting within 15 minutes -- 24 hours a day,

365 days a year. And accept full liability for all damage caused by listening to any of your answers.

What's that? You don't agree? Then STFU.

Reply to
David Taylor

Couldn't agree more. I think it's foolish to economise on tyres. Not only are you increasing the risk to others, you're increasing the risk to yourself, and in the context of the overall costs of running a car, the difference between paying £50 or £100 per tyre becomes comparitively insignificant. I also think the legal minimum tread depth of 1.6mm is too little. IMO it should be at least 2mm or more. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Definitely. I change mine well before legal, and you can still tell. On my last car I replaced still-legal tyres with identical but new ones and even after a very few miles of scrubbing in, the difference was astounding.

Reply to
Chris Bartram