tyre sellers

Hello,

As you may have read in my other post my front tyres are worn to 3mm and the rear ones to 6mm. I am looking to buy new front tyres. I hope the rear ones will last a bit longer. It looks as though I bought all four in 2007, so they are 20 months old. I can't remember how many miles they have done. Does that sound like I got my money's worth last time?

I have found various internet sellers: blackcircles, etyres, mytyres, pneus-online, etc. Are they all as good as each other or are some companies better than others?

Thanks Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

michelins on my old sierra 4 x 4 have lasted over 35,000 on the front and are not finished by a fair bit. If you can get access to costco go there and get a new pair of michelin installed on the back and they move the rears to the front. (this is industry standard advice that all major manufacturers agree on) Tyres are not something to be mean about when buying.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I have used Event mobile tyres several times, been excellent service every time.

Alan.

Reply to
AlanD

I have a friend who had a positive experience with them. I use my local tyre centre who were a £0.60 cheaper than eytres who I sometimes use. Also the tyre centre do what no one else does ... Bolt the wheels back up with a torque wrench!! FOC

Reply to
Peter smith

I can't remember ever having a car tyre fitter use a torque wrench, and am not convinced that it is that essential in principle - after all, plenty of people change wheels every year themselves without subsequently having a wheel fall off. (and those that do have probably made little attempt to tighten them at all). Only benefit I can see is that they are not too tight to remove at roadside.

Reply to
Blah

Even Kwikfit use them.

Quite. Wheel fixings are vastly over engineered on an ordinary car so a wide range of torque will be fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I used one of the online tyre companies. Tyres were delivered to and fitted by a local branch of City Tyre. Balancing was off, so I went back and it was sorted FOC (turned out their balancing machine had been playing up). I wouldn't hesitate to use anyone that arranged supply and fitting of the tyres. I'd not entertain messing about with them supplying and me finding my own fitter - too much potential for them to say things are the fitter's problem, and for the fitter to say it's the tyre seller's problem...

Reply to
Doki

Howeve as various ambulance services have proved it's a wide range, not any old value.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Commercial vehicles are different.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Check out Theo Markettos's recommendaton for

HTH,

Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

FWIW etyres have a policy of hand-tightening wheelnuts - they insist on doing a final tighten in front of you and making you sign that you've seen it. Means they aren't loose and they haven't been air wrenched (so you have some hope of getting them off at the roadside).

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Theo Markettos gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Ha.

When I swapped the winter tyres off the Saab a couple of months back, I did it up at my lockup, with a cheap solid wheelbrace.

The summers were getting a bit old, so when I replaced 'em a week or so later over at the workshop, it took a LOT of rattling with the airgun to get 'em to shift - I'd done 'em up harder with the brace than with the gun.

I'm hardly a muscle-bound gorilla...

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Should add... It wasn't a huge wheelbrace, it wasn't a spider, it wasn't an extender, I didn't jump on it. Just a "good nip".

This type :-

Adrian