Tyres - which make / type wears best?

Examining my main car (a Toyota Avensis Turbo Diesel Estate) I anticipate that at my fairly modest mileage I will be replacing the tyres circa mid Spring. The fronts are cheapies I bought some 18 months ago. The rears are possibly original being of course under less stress than the fronts.

As a 57 year old I do not career around pushing the vehicle to it's limits (I also have a MG midget for summertime fun) I do however pull a caravan which will obviously on occasions put some extra stress on the tyres. The front tyres will only have done about 15000 miles at changeover which strikes me as lower than I would expect. Is there a significant difference in the wear rates of different makes / types of tyre and has anyone any pointers as to which come out best in this respect?

Reply to
Peter Balcombe

That's not bad at all for a decent set of front tyres.

IMHO, Pirelli P6000s are _the_ best choice for mid-sized cars, with P600s a good 'budget' choice. (I've tried both on our cars).

The offer decent grip, and none too tragic wear rates.

You can get tyres that will do more mileage - but this will be at the expense of outright grip - personally I wouldn't compromise on grip when you're towing a caravan.

Reply to
SteveH

IME, Michelin MXM / Primacy. 38,000 from the rears, 55,000 from the fronts. RWD. I don't drive slowly.

They're not cheap to buy, but the price per mile is excellent.

Reply to
Grant Mason

12000m out of the roadhogs my car came with, 32000 out of the pilot primacys that replaced, cheaper per mile & much more grip
Reply to
Duncan Wood

Dunlop SP Sports - got 30,000 miles out of the fronts on my old 306 (not driven gently) although they are abysmal in the wet.

Pirelli P6000's - good all rounder. Last quite well, grip well and cheap through discount suppliers (2 195/50/15 V's from Micheldever tyres for less than £80 fitted and balanced)

Dan

Reply to
Dan Post

In message , Dan Post writes

I'm on my second set of P6000's but I think that Michelins offer longer tyre life (at the expense of slightly less "sportiness" but the OP said this wasn't a requirement).

Reply to
Paul Giverin

i find that the cheepo shitty hong fung wong brand wear out faster.....

so why is it when i got to the local tyre place they try to sell me cheepo shitty ones when i tell them

I dont mind paying a little more for a tyre that will last longer?

Reply to
Tom Burton

Well, it does vary with both the driving and the vehicle, of course! Turbodiesels can be harder on their front tyres because the driver uses the mid range heave. :)

However, when all is said and done, Michelins have a very good reputation for being able to take high mileage, although they are also expensive. It's usually worth it in a cost per mile basis, but you do need the cash to stump up first, of course.

Reply to
DervMan