Which mud tyres...?

I'm looking for a set of mud tyres for my 90. They will have to be my normal day to day tyres because I don't have the space to store a second set; I do about 10,000 miles a year only a small percentage of this off road. However, when I am off road I want to get to where I want to go. Last l/r ran on 7.50R16 mud-plugga remoulds, which were superb, but I don't think they're made any more.

Question is do the BFG Goodrich Mud Terrains and Goodyear Wrangler MTRs really have much advantage over, say, Colway mud terrains, or is it all just about paying a premium for a brand name? Craddocks have the Colways at about half the price of the others. Any other recommendations??

Also, why would you choose a 265 or 205 wide tyre rather than a 235..?

Thanks,

M.

Reply to
McBad

If you need to use the vehicle every day then the answer is simple - the BFG's are good off-road, reasonably grippy on road (for a mud tyre!) and last for a long time - I got 40,000 miles out of a set on a hard-used 90 V8. The MTR's are good but don't wear as well. 265's are too wide for the weight of a 90 - good for pose,but not for mud. You can't beat 235x85x16 on a 90 IMHO.

Reply to
Exit

I really like Pirelli Scorpion MTs. Just had a new set yesterday on the 110. The price has gone up a fair bit since I bought the first set (4 years ago) but they're still considerably cheaper than the BFGs. Craddocks have 235/85s on white 8-spokes for £450 for four.

Reply to
Smorgo

Just replaced a set of MT/R's after 50,000+ miles, rears were fine, and fronts only had to be replaced due to my tracking being out for a while....

Reply to
The Neffalump

Are the MTRs All Terrain or Mud Terrain, strictly speaking? As an A/T user I was going to go for BF Goodrich All Terrains, as I got great service out of my last set, but now I'm tempted by the Goodyear MTRs, as I saw a good write-up on them. I've also heard people say the MTRs are actually quite long-lasting. I'm thinking of giving them a try.

David

Reply to
David French

Thats good, I only got 24k out of mine before tread wear was reducing mud performance with the MTR's.

Reply to
Exit

Hmmmm....

Mine did 3 years, the mileage stated and quite a lot of that was on motorways at motorway speeds (235/85 variant - running 34-36 front and 38-40 rear). As I said, rears were still fine and even with the front inside worn to the bars, still performed very well in the sticky stuff....but that might have been down to the Tru-tracs

When being replaced the nice tyre man commented on how impressed he was with the fact that the shoulders were still the right shape on mine.....he said all the others he'd seen had worn away.....so I must be doing something right ;-)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Yeah - not doing most of your mileage on b-roads and round town like I did! :)

Reply to
Exit

Hehehe...not quite...although rurual Northamptonshire aint that good....and a lot of that was towing. I despise main roads...as does my GPS Mabel

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

On or around Wed, 23 Jun 2004 12:16:16 +0100, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

There's also a Goodyear ATR, IIRC. so I suspect the MTR is more mud-oriented.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

thanks all. Order to the Craddocks coming up...

M.

Reply to
McBad

Craddocks? That should mean you receive 4 different types and size of tyre. If you're lucky one might be a mud tyre! :)

Reply to
Exit

On or around Thu, 24 Jun 2004 18:23:36 GMT, "Exit" enlightened us thusly:

mind, they managed to send me 4 the same, with wheels.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I hope they manage the same for me! I'll let you know. As long as they get here by 4th July all will be ok.

Cheers,

McBad