What is this part?

In my 71 super there is a hose that comes off the top corner of the gas tank, goes through a large plastic tube which has a U-type hose at the bottom (comes out of the bottom, goes back into the bottom) then another hose from the top which goes off into the chassis. The plastic tube is about 18" to 24" long. Is this the start of my fuel line that I though would come out of the bottom or is it some sort of emmissions thingy? It's always full of gas. The manuals I've downloaded don't mention it. Can it be safely bypassed? Here's some pics:

Never mind the wiring, I'm working on it. Someone wired the fusebox completely upsidedown among other things. Have it about 75% sorted out and will clean it up when done.

Reply to
Mark

It's an emissions thingy. :-) The plastic tube is an expansion chamber that is part of the fuel vapor recovery system that routes vapors back to the engine to be burned instead of released to the atmosphere. An explanation and diagram of the system is here:

The plastic tube should actually be located under the cowl, above the wiper motor. Being full of gas all the time doesn't sound good to me. :-)

See the pictures here, it's item 1:

Item 24 here:
It can be bypassed/removed, so long as you provide another means for the tank to vent.

hth

Reply to
Scott H

Man, not even close to what's under there now. Think I'll finish whatever the previous owner was thinking and just bypass it. Somebody really did a chop job on the wires and hoses in this. Think I'll re-inspect the brake lines just to be sure.

Reply to
Mark

...thats for sure...I think I'd either junk it cause its a super anyways or consider buying a new wiring harness.

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian