Underbody sealing

What are the current thoughts on doing this? I was surprised to find surface rust on various part of my exhaust and the suspension brackets (02 car), so I'm thinking of applying some sealant to my new car. However, there are clearly parts which shouldn't be covered, so is it a DIY job?

Reply to
d-t

d-t ( snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's 5yo, and there's "surface rust". That's all. How long are you planning on keeping it? Which bits are looking manky? Anything important?

If you've got your wits about you, absolutely. Just don't put it on anything where it may cause a problem (do I need to explicitly mention brake disks and calipers?), and there's no point on putting it on any maintenance items - fuel filter etc - or slathering it on fasteners that may need to be removed. If you get it on the exhaust, it won't cause a _problem_, just a smell...

Reply to
Adrian

What car is it? The main problem is bodywork - ie, stuff that'll rust through. My ARBs are rusted to hell but it doesn't really worry me as I know it's not going to dissolve them any time soon..

Reply to
Doki

i wouldn;t worry about those bits, suspension components get surface rust, but are substantial enough not to rust through...

Reply to
big dom

Just spent =A3235 getting the wifes' FTO done. Did my Capri last year and= =20 topped it up this year.

You don't underseal any of the mechanical components at all.=20 Undersealing is supposed to be done to the bodywork only.

--=20 Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

Reply to
Conor

Well, I'm now selling it (which is how I noticed these areas), but was thinking perhaps of treating my imminent new car. The bits that I can see are the middle sections of the exhaust, and the rear suspension struts (if that's the right term).

So is there an alternative for treating exhausts? Zinc spray, perhaps?

Reply to
d-t

Xsara Picasso. Certainly seen no sign of bodywork problems. But I did feel the need to be honest when describing the car (using autorola.co.uk)

Reply to
d-t

Buy a stainless one. Or one that's been properly zinc plated in the first place.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Buy a stainless steel one.

Reply to
Conor

What car is it? FFS, I've got a 17 year old golf, and the only rust on the underside that could do with sorting is on the rear jacking points which are pretty much asking to collect water. Any new car should at the very least be properly cavity waxed and undersealed, and preferably galvanised.

Exhausts rot. It's the way of the world. They're subjected to nasty chemicals, and if the metalwork didn't break down, the silencer wadding would.

Reply to
Doki

There is absolutely no point in painting an exhaust. They rust from the inside out.

Reply to
gazzafield

d-t (d-t ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Pointless trying. They rot from the inside out.

Reply to
Adrian

Doki ("Doki" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

And his Picasso is.

'course, the galvanising is only ever the actual shell, never the bolt-on stuff around it. Not that that _rots_

Reply to
Adrian

I'd have hoped so. Even the bird's ZX and 106 have Galvanised shells. Even my Dispatch does...

I have to say, the OP must be a vicar or something. As long as there are pysically no holes or any about to appear, looking at the underneath of a car is the buyer's job...

Reply to
Doki

Thanks for all the comments. No, I'm not a vicar! However, the checklist that Autorola makes you complete includes examining the underside. Not a very scientific process, when all you've got is your drive and a torch!

Reply to
d-t

Out of interest, who did the work on your wife's FTO and your Capri? Sounds useful if they encourage topping-up. Roy

Just spent £235 getting the wifes' FTO done. Did my Capri last year and topped it up this year.

You don't underseal any of the mechanical components at all. Undersealing is supposed to be done to the bodywork only.

Reply to
Roy Hammond