Unidentified Jaguar Ignition

Argh. No it won't.

Earth- case Power- coil primary terminal B + battery feed from ignition switch. Output- coil primary terminal A (A and B for lack of a better term)

Reply to
Mark Olson

I have no idea except it's from a 1962 Mk2 - I'm pretty sure it would have been converted to -ve earth simply for the electronic ignition - however +ve earth ignition units exist so it's important to identify the manufacturer and find out if they made +ve versions. If I can identify it I can get the required info direct. Which will make everyone's life easier!

Normally the live feed goes to the coil then to points/distributor then to earth - there isn't a ballast resistor on these cars. The missing link is where the feed goes to on the electronic set up. The only real way is to find someone with this setup and copy their wiring or identify the manufacturer and get it direct.

The Jag rev counter uses an AC generator on the back of the inlet cam and the "tacho" just measures the voltage - polarity isn't an issue.

Reply to
sweller

What a lovely expression. So the ShiteOldJag has a reluctant ignition system?

Reply to
The Older Gentleman

No doubt. I presume the engine came sans accessories, such as generator or alternator? They'd be a clue if anything would. A *really* clever bod might even be able to suss out what the polarity was by looking at residual magnetism in the starter motor coils, if the starter were present. But that's just a semi-educated guess.

A bit Rube Goldberg-ish (I know you have a different expression for it) but yep, that lash-up would not care what the charging system was doing.

Reply to
Mark Olson

No ancillaries - I was surprised it had a distributor.

That's how it is OE - surely it can't be described as a lash up!

Oh, and our man pre-dates your man:

sweller

Well, compared to a solid-state electronic tach with no moving parts (save the D'Arsonval movement itself) that my 64 MGB had from the factory, I'd have to say it is.

Reply to
Mark Olson

Similar to the Rover SD1 - although the amp looks different. My SD1 has the later DLM with amp mounted on the dizzy.

There should be white and white/black wires to the amp from the coil - the white to positive and the white black to negative. The white should also be fed with battery volts - probably linked at the coil. There is also likely a second white/black lead from the coil to the rev counter/injection.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah - didn't realise it wasn't standard. This system is late '70s/ early

80s and I don't think it was ever available in positive earth.

Easiest way to check - probably - is to open up the amp and see which side of an electrolytic is connected to ground.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)