Urgently need to fix punto ingition coil

Hi,

1 of my fiat punto's ignition coils has juts packed up. Need to fix it today - no garages open. Was wondering if you could go to a scrap yard and get an ignition coil from any small car and fit it as a temporary measure with a view to getting a proper fiat one fitted next week.

Would that work?

Cheers squelch41

Fiat Punto 1.2 "02" reg

Reply to
squelch41

Why not try a motor factors?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

these have two coils from memory, so be careful here as puntos suffer ecu problems which give a similiar problem to a coil miss firing, also you might find if it is a coil that has gone down it spikes the ecu, its a known problem & a fortune to fix. ive done a few of these over the years.

Reply to
kronenburgh

No - they're not a Fiat specific part, but I have no idea which other cars use the same 'coil pack'.

Note that it's a 'coil pack' and not a traditional coil, which is what causes the difficulties in bodging any old coil onto it.

Reply to
SteveH

Took it to a garage that happened to be open today - they reckon that the ECU has been knackered :(

Just out of interest re: coil packs, are they just transformers to increase from 12v to however many one needs to generate a spark or are they more complex (hence why you need specific matching ones?)

I presume the older coils are literally just transformers, hence enabling a bodge job?

Cheers squelch41

Romeo'

Honda VFR800 - Hongdou GY200 - Alfa 75 TSpark

Reply to
squelch41

Hmmm, MkII Puntos can suffer with ECU problems - but I don't think it will be in this case.

What are the symptoms? - and have you tried swapping the coil packs over to isolate the problem pack?

More complex. In a distributorless system, the ECU provides a trigger for the the coil packs.

Essentially - the take a low tension feed and chuck out a high tension feed to the distributor which sorts out the spark timing. In a modern system, the coil packs get a trigger from the ECU, cutting out the distributor.

Reply to
SteveH

im presuming they have stuck it on a scanner or some other form of diagnostics ? if they have it will more then likely come up with with misfire coil 1 you should get a P0351 fault code, im not at work so i can look it up at the mo, it has always turned out to be the ecu, but theres a first for everything.

the ecu is very expensive & it needs to reprogrammed to the vehicle, if you do find out its the ecu & you want to save some pennies & want to fit one yourself, give me a shout & i can give you the ecu restting details. its bolted onto the back of the throttle body, very easy to change, Fiat do recon ones, the last one we bought was circa =A3350 !

if your still unconvinced go here

site for help & parts

Reply to
kronenburgh

Thanks for your help everyone ;)

Reply to
squelch41

What's the verdict?

I'm guessing a knackered coil pack myself, 'cos I know Cinqs. with the

1.1 version of that engine regularly do them in.

But I could be wrong.....

Still, they're only 30 quid or so, and it's worth trying that before going for a refurb. ECU - if it does turn out to be the ECU, keep a good, spare coil in the boot 'cos you never know when you'll need it.

Another tip is to keep a clutch cable in the boot, 'cos if it snaps, the RAC and AA can't bodge it to get you home.

Reply to
SteveH

I've done loads of temp repairs on the clutch cables,bit fiddly but can be done.

Steve

Reply to
Steev

We were caught out twice - once by each service. The AA bloke who towed it home the 2nd time, told me to keep a spare in the boot so we didn't need towing again.

Shite design - replacing a clutch cable took me ages with my head stuck under the passenger side dash.

Reply to
SteveH

Its good advice as its quicker to fit a new one than do a temp,but a temp can be done,though you have to be very patient!

It certainly is a crap design,could have been so much easier aswell,the basic models are ok but the sporting is a bitch!

Steve

Reply to
Steev

Romeo'

Honda VFR800 - Hongdou GY200 - Alfa 75 TSpark

Reply to
squelch41

Romeo'

VFR800 - Hongdou GY200 - Alfa 75 TSpark

Reply to
squelch41

Hmmmmm.

Bet that cost a bit, then.

I remain convinced it was only the coil.

Reply to
SteveH

good to know what it was, the two usualy go hand in hand.

Reply to
reg