BX alternators

Bit of a long shot I know, but does anybody know the difference between the alternators on a BX 1.9D and a BX turbodiesel? GSF have them listed as different, but is it mechanical or purely electrical, and if the latter, how different?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I have a Lucas book dated 2002 which lists 3 different alternators for the BX 1.9D according to the year, and another different one for the BX 17D Turbo 88 - 94, the only mention of a turbo BX.

What year is yours?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

OK, I've had a look at the pics and spec, and it appears that the BX 19 has

3, the first two are the same except for output. One is a 50 amp, the other a 70 amp. Both of these are a poly-V belt with 4 Vs. The third is very different in the electrical connections, also having a 6V belt.

The BX 17 Turbo D has a belt with 5 Vs, but the electrical details look the same as the first two for the BX 19, and you should be able to get away with it. There is a slight difference in the dimension from the face of the alternator to the centre of the belt, but this is to allow for the extra V. AFAIK they still come without the pulley anyway. The shaft may well be the same.

Lucas Nos are -

LRA 471 for the 50 amp LRA 764 for the 70 amp both of these are for the BX 19D, 1984 - 07/1990

LRB 119 for the BX 17 Turbo D 1988 - 94 The electrical connections for this are the same as the other 2, and this is also a 50 amp.

HTH,

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Top stuff, thanks - I'd not have noticed the number of V's without that mention until I tried to put it on.

Now have one alternator off, off to try the other...

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

And it's in. The one from the 19D came out a lot easier - no oil cooler pipes in the way, so it came out of the top rather than the bottom. Pulley swap was really easy, and it all seems happy so far.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George