Use Platinum tipped plugs or not ?

We have a 2002 Corolla and it's used mostly for fairly short trips around London, with the occasional hundred mile run.

I intend to put them in myself, so guess I can get a good price for them on the internet; even the more expensive platinum tipped ones.

Bearing in mind the type of car and the typical usage, would it make any sense to pay extra for platinum tipped spark plugs?

Reply to
john east

With modern electronics they will not make any noticeable difference (IMO) In the days of points and carbs they could be worthwhile. But if you fancy trying some, then do so, they won't hurt and are not that much more expensive than ordinary plugs. NGK are the only make to get whichever flavour you try.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Mr Cheerful thanks. Even if there was no noticeable difference in performance, someone told me that i would not have to change them so often... so i guess that would be a saving ?

Reply to
john east

the standard plugs last 40,000, the iridium version go for 60,000

Reply to
Mrcheerful

What is the original plug type?? I would stick with them.

The platinum types will foul easier than standard types.

Toyota would have put platinum types in if they thought they would be better.

Around London I would not be putting platinum type in unless they were the original equipment.

Its false economy.

Reply to
Rob

one of the main uses of platinum plugs is (was) to cure plug fouling (platinum plugs run at a higher temperature and burn off the fouling more easily) and the smaller point for the electrode enables a spark under worse conditions and at lower voltage. Since it is a Toyota the Iridium plugs are the best you can get.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I have never had any success with platinum in motor cars unless they were original equipment. Bikes - Lodge RL50 range were good.

Reply to
Rob