Vauxhall Rip off

Bought an oil filter for wife's 1.7 TD Astra from Vauxhall £17.52 Get it home and open the sealed Vauxhall stamped box. Filter inside has MANN stamped on it.
Price of MANN filter at local autoparts £5.86 Now I really feel ripped off. Bob
On Sun, 18 Jan 2015 00:13:35 -0800, Bob Dodds wrote:

Vauxhall don't make own filters! Can buy same thing in unbranded box, cheaper! HOLD THE FRONT PAGE!
Is this REALLY news to you?
On 18/01/2015 08:13, Bob Dodds wrote:

Try a Motor Factor shop in your neighbourhood, or try internet. Don't buy generic parts from Vauxhall dealer.

Best one I had was an inlet manifold gasket for a Rover V8. Realised I needed one at the last minute (on a Saturday) so went to a nearby Land Rover main dealer. Was treated like a Russian olegart - sat down at a desk in the showroom, offered a cup of coffee, while the man in a suit fetched it for me.
Came in a nice box - at 28 quid plus VAT. Normal price elsewhere then - about 6 quid.
--
*Letting a cat out of the bag is easier than putting it back in *

I worked for a Rover dealer in the late 80s, different pricing for the *exact* same part number* depending on what vehicle the customer said he wanted it for...
*part number printed on invoice changed with the vehicle, they weren't so stupid as to be that obvious :)
Bob Dodds wrote:

Not much sympathy here I'm afraid. You have a computer connected to the intergoogles or you wouldn't be posting this so you can check Ebay, Euro Car Parts etc before buying anything. If you want to pay 18 quid for an oil filter it's your own choice. I've just bought a Crossland oil filter for my Focus from Euro Car Parts for £2.16 inc free delivery. The one for your car is about £4.50. Caveat Emptor and all that.
--
Dave Baker

Bob Dodds put finger to keyboard:

It is worth shopping around - when I had a rad puncture on a Vauxhall, I went to the local motor factors and Serck Marston (?) who supply to the trade. In the end, the cheapest source was - Vauxhall main dealer.
Also I've used a pattern-part oil filter before that had some one-way valve missing and that ended up costing a fair bit :-(
On 19/01/2015 17:04, Scion wrote:

Not all pattern parts are created equal and it's preferable to look up the part by the OEM's application and not rely on a cross reference.
One (small) motor factor I used to use managed to "condense" their range of oil filters down by nearly half by cross referencing between OEM's...
On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 8:13:36 AM UTC, Bob Dodds wrote:

Hi Bob,
Alot of people are paying over the odds for vauxhall parts, as they dont kn ow where to go to get parts from. Compare the market from over 100+ car suppliers when looking for your vauxh all parts by using these guys.... this website is a 'Car Parts Comparison' website used by the trade.
http://www.whatpart.co.uk/vauxhall-parts.html
let me know how much you save?!!
Regards
Rush