Vectra 04 - Power Steering

I have noticed the steering is getting heavier over the last few weeks. Looking in the owner manual it mentions power steering oil, but not what to use and where to top it up... Can anyone give me some advice on how to do this

Many thanks

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Fuck sake....

Power steering fluid. Goes in the power steering fluid reservoir - that'll be in the manual.

Reply to
Conor

The service book should give details of the approved lubricants. Being a GM product probably Dexron of one type or another for the PS. The reservoir might be on the pump itself or elsewhere connected by a hose. A Haynes manual could be the thing to ask for for Xmas.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

first check would be tyre pressures, low fluid will make a noise before any real loss of power assistance. That model uses an electric pump, so low battery can give steering faults. If it isn't the tyres I would recommend a trip to a Vauxhall dealer.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

A quick Google found this, for an '03:

"Its under the headlight, in the front of the wheel arch on the Right hand side of the car. You need to remove the inner wheel arch guard and you will be able to see it tucked under the headlight."

As you will presumably have to go somewhere to buy the fluid, why not go to a dealer? That way, you should be sure of getting the right fluid, and they might be kind enough to show you where it goes. If not, doesn't your handbook tell you?

IMO, low fluid is unlikely to cause the steering to gradually get heavier over a few weeks. If it ran out completely, it would suddenly go very heavy, and by then the pump or rack may be damaged.

Have you checked the tyre pressures recently...

I believe the Vectra C has "electro-hydraulic" PAS, so ultimately you may end up at the mercy of a dealer.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

[...]

Indeed- racks commonly fail on these, but not nearly as often as the fully electric servo ones on the corsa / astra - its almost a wearing part!!!!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Probably made by Bosch.

Reply to
SteveH

They seem to have taken over from Lucas in making things down to a price rather than up to a spec. Who makes the best electrics etc these days?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I haven't had any Magnetti Marelli stuff break recently.

Bosch and Nippon Denso, on the other hand....

Reply to
SteveH

No, worse- usually Magetti-Marelli !

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Sometimes I understand why you get so annoyed :)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

But Conor doesn't know himself, that's why he starts foul-mouthing around, to cover his own ignorance (either than or he has a small pizzle and needs to feel like a man...), had he known he would have - like others who answered the OP - just told the OP were the reservoir is - and the manual might well not have such details if the PSP is regarded as a dealer service item, some manufactures don't tell always tell owners how to check gear box levels these days either for example.

Reply to
Jerry

In article , Jerry writes

[nothing worth quoting]

I remember now why I had you in my killfile.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson