Vectra fault code help

Does anyone know the meaning of fault code 1230 for the Simtec 56.5 engine management system? - It doesn't seem to be listed on any of the websites that I've found so far.

It's an X20XEV engine in the Vectra SRi140 (1998). Fault symptoms are engine cut out after driving anywhere between 6 and 20 miles. Will not restart immediately, but will restart after around 2-3 minutes.

TIA,

Andy Clarke

Reply to
Andy Clarke

Fault code 1230 is listed as 'Supply voltage out of range' which may be being latched if the problem on your car is a bad connection for example. This code however , may be simply stored in memory and have nothing to do with the fault. The only way to determine this is to attach a scan tool with 'live-data' capability and see what supply voltage the ECU is reporting or clear the code and see if it returns whenever the vehicle cuts-out. Regards Mike

Reply to
Mike

Thanks Mike,

I've also been told that it means 'engine control relay voltage low' which I suppose could be a bad connection at, or in the supply to, the relay - do you know which is the engine control relay?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Clarke

Hi Group, Sorry I do not know physically where the main relay is located on your vehicle perhaps someone else can help however it is powered from pin-49 of the ECU and the supply from this relay goes into the ECU on pin-55 which is where the ECU monitors the supply voltage from. It is correct therefore that the logged fault code could be caused by this relay , but equally , any supply interruption to the system would cause the same fault.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Thanks Mike, I'll check it out.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Clarke

Thanks for your help - changing the relay seems to have cured the problem!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Clarke