Vectra hand brake funny

Folks :- We've noticed that the handbreak on my other half's automatic Vectra stops her going forward when she's got it in drive, but has absolutely no effect when it's in reverse. It is also worryingly ineffective on inclines if it's being parked facing up. Has anyone seen this before and do you have any ideas what's the problem (and how expensive it should be to fix?) Many thanks Kevin

Reply to
Gerbil

probably just needs a clean out and adjust.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Is that the drum in disc system?

It has fully floating shoes. Sounds like yours hasn't. A good clean should sort it - checking the pivot is free to move.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep, just jack up the back wheels and find the little hole in the drum, through which you can see the adjuster, a few clicks with a screwdriver and you should be OK! Had to do mine for the MOT!

Will

Reply to
Will Reeve

Maybe a relines in order.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Unless something else is causing it, the handbrake shoes very rarely need replacing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hi, Many thanks for the replies. In the event it was as you suggested, a screwdriver job, and with that and fixing a short circuiting wire elsewhere it cost me the grand sum of £10 at the garage!

Thanks for all the good advice as usual.

Julie

Reply to
Julie