Escort 1.8i Sudden Death - Update: still dead :-(

Still no joy with my 95 Ford Escort, 1.8 zetec.

One day it was working fine, next day it turns over fine but not even the slightest hint of any cylinder firing. To start with I thought the engine was turning over too fast, checked that the starter was engaging (it is) and helpful posters here suggested cambelt/camshaft failures. These appear to be OK. Anyway, I'm now not so sure it is turning over too fast. The thing is it's always started first turn of the key so I'm just not used to hearing it crank over!

So the following now checked:

Sparking on at least 2 HT leads OK Cam belt intact (removed top belt cover to look, and at least 1 camshaft turning as viewed through filler cap Coolant temp sender in spec (reading 87k ohms) Fuel pump priming for 2 seconds as normal cut off valve pressed in Fuel getting there (I think - I covered the system pressure chuck valve with a bit of cloth and very lightly depressed the valve pin - fuel immediately came out onto the rag)

As previously stated this is a car that was working 100%, then one morning not a sausage. So I'm doubting it's a gradual wear thing like fouled spark plugs etc, surely it's likely to be total failure of *something*

What sensors could fail and cause total non-start symptoms? I thought most would at least give limp home mode, or at least try to start? Or is it something else?

al

Reply to
stupidworld

The magic of uk.rec.cars.maintenance has worked :-)

After typing my last post, I went out there, and out of sheer desperation turned the car over for ages. Then out of more desperation flipped the throttle while I was doing this. There was a very, very faint "flop" from the engine, like a very weak single finging. Kept going, played with the throttle and heard a couple more... By this time the poor old battery wasn't feeling so good so I jumped to another car and cranked for all I was worth, playing with the throttle and slowly the thing started to fire, justa couple of pops to start with but then more.

It was spluttering away dreadfully but I just kept on a cranking, a couple of attempts and finally it started running VERY roughly, as if each cylinder was slowly coming back to life one at a time. But as I reved it it started to clear, took about 30 seconds of revving and now it's ticking over fine! Have yet to try starting again, but what's going on?! Could it have been a load of crud in the fuel or something? Fuel tank is half full.

Very odd!

Reply to
stupidworld

been thinking about this one for a while..

maybe just a flooded engine? give a good roadtest , park up , and try again after say 1 hour.

Reply to
ford_technical_

A lot of cars are like this. When the TPS is open during cranking, the ECU doesn't fire the injectors.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Are you sure it was not just flooded?

I've had 3 cars with Zetecs and they all suffer a bit from this. It will often happen if you start it from cold, run it for a few seconds and then leave it. When you next try to start, it won't do so.

The procedure for starting with the engine flooded is documented in the handbook, assuming you still have it for an 11 year old car!

Hold the throttle flat to the floor and crank for 30 secs. DO NOT "pump" the pedal, keep it flat. Release the pedal and it should start normally.

My Focus suffers a fair bit from this but the above procedure has always worked. I think I read that when the ECU sees an engine cranking with the throttle wide open it cuts the fuel pump to allow it to dry out.

Anyway, I hope it keeps starting for you now!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Took it out for a test, all seems fine, will try again later.

I've been talking about this with the missus and we've remembered a similar thing has happened in the past on a couple of occasions (over a year ago probably though), although previously it has at least fired when tried next time, but taken a while to get running smoothly.

However, there seems to be one common theme every time it happened (definately the case this time).

I was trying to move a van out of the drive, it was a bit tight so I asked her to move the escort a couple of inches forward, so she jumped in, started it up, moved forward quickly then switched off. From engine start to engine stop was out 3 seconds. Next time I try to start the car, it didn't fire. We are pretty sure this is exactly what happenedthe previous times (i.e. start engine, move an inch or two, stop engine)

Ok, so maybe the engine was flooded from the quick start/stop, but on this most recent occurance, the car was moved early saturday morning, then not touched until monday morning when I tried to use it and it wouldnt budge. Since then it's been left all week with no change in the effect when turning the key.

Its almost like the ECU has got confused, and thinks the engine is 180 degrees out or something.

Any ideas?

Reply to
stupidworld

desperation

Ah ha!

I Should've checked for new articles before all that typing :-)

Great, so it's not just me, and now we know what to do next time. Thanks!

Reply to
stupidworld

desperation

Nearly, if the ECU sees a throttle position of greater than 90% with the starter engaged it doesnt fire the injectors at all. (all EEC4 and above Fords have this 'clear flood' mode)

Seems as if the OP's car was severely flooded AND / OR having valve stick (the faster than usual cranking speed)- did he not notice the wet plugs when he was checking for spark?

Alot more likely if he has a silver top Zetec E and isnt on quite the right

5w-30 oil...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Other cars noted for extreme over fuelling and consequent flooding when started and shut down without warm-up are

Jag V8's Volvo white blocks (the earlier the worse) Micra K11's.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I could pretty much bet money that if I ran my Focus from cold for only a few seconds, and then left even for several days, it would not start the next time. If you had mentioned what had happened in your original post, you would have had the answer within minutes! It was flooded for sure!

I'm making this up (there's a first for Usenet!) but it seems that once a flooded engine situation is detected by the ECU, it won't allow a start until the "crank with full throttle" bit has been done. (Any thoughts Tim?)

Your subsequent attempts to start it without using the proper "flooded engine" procedure would have simply made things worse.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

This was laziness (due to it being too cold out there for a wimp like me!) I had an old spark plug in the garage so I just pulled off the lead and stuck it on the spare plug. If I'd have removed the plugs no doubt I'd have noticed - and maybe the fuel would have evapourated anyway!

D'OH! I froze my nuts off cycling to work last week!

Still, better for me and the planet I guess!

***
Reply to
stupidworld

"stupidworld" wrote in message news:dtpc9g$32s$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

I had a similar experience a few months ago with my 11 year old BMW E34. Drove home after it was serviced and parked on the drive. Went out a little later and moved it a couple of feet. Next morning it wouldn't start. Tried the usual remedy for flooding..Foot to the floor, and keep cranking etc. Not a peep. Didn't fire once. When the battery sounded like it was getting weak, I rang the service guy. He told me to carry on as I'd been doing, and it would eventually start. Tried again until I was pretty sure the battery was getting to the point where there'd be insufficient juice for the plugs. Still no signs of life. Rang him again and he came out with his service van. Jumped it to his heavy duty battery in the back, and started cranking. Much faster than my battery could at that point. After about a minute, one or two pops. Carried on and they gradually increased, until it finally started. Running rough for a minute or so until it finally settled down to firing on all 6 cylinders. The service guy reckoned it was not uncommon for 'modern' cars to act in the same way, if they were started, then fairly quickly switched off. I still don't understand the mechanics of it. My experience of flooded engines, is that they usually start fairly quickly, if the accelerator is depressed to give plenty of air. I've never nearly flattened a battery before a flooded engine has started. Mind you, my experience has mainly been with older cars. Why should a 'modern' car should be so different? Presumably the electronics interfere in some way with purging the engine of excess fuel, but exactly how and why that occurs is beyond my understanding. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

The ECU isn't aware of a flooded engine situation, or else it would initiate the flood clear function by itself.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

OK. I thought that the O2 sensor would "know" that an excessively rich mixture was passing over it during cranking?

I don't think I would want my car opening the throttle wide and cranking the engine to clear flooding on its own!

:-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

yes, had the identical issue with my c2. drove 10 yards (cold) to get fuel. bugger wudnt go. I then full throt, eventually started. fine since.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

Reply to
a.n.other

My Mercedes 190E does it too.

Reply to
a.n.other

You may well have damaged your cat, having pushed all that unburned fuel into it.

***

Reply to
a.n.other

O2 sensors don't work at cranking, they need to be at operating tempurature.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt
[Snipped Text]

OK, I can't take it anymore, I have to help. It'll be more than likely one of two things, common to the Escort.

Before you try those, just try another key. Then.....

Crank Position Sensor, check the connector for any contamination, oil water etc. These only work at 1v, so anything can prevent them sending a good signal. If it is contaminated, get a new crank sensor, and a modified connector - you need to cut off the old one and solder the replacement in. Check the voltage from the sensor while cranking, use AC Volts to test, you should get about 1v (The same test is used for ABS sensors too).

Second common failing on the Escorts is the fuse box; these can prevent power reaching many components around the engine. This will involve checking as many circuits as you can for a 12v feed.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt