Vintage Car project

A friend has a car that he has been restoring (Jowett Javelin) but health problems now limit what he can do. The car is not far from completion - the restored engine needs fitting and some electrical work needs to be done. I am looking for suggestions on how he can complete the work without losing control of the end result. Any ideas such as:

  1. Employ a motor engineer to come to the house to do the work

  1. Have the car taken to a motor engineer

  2. Sell a share in the car to someone with the ability to complete the work - somehow maintaining an involvement (shows, etc)

Any suggestions?

Reply to
John

A lot will depend on the budget available. Options 1 or 2 will not be cheap!

There is a UK Jowett owner's club here:

Perhaps it might be worth asking them?

Sorry if this seems pedantic, but the Javelin was produced from 1947 to

1953. To qualify as "vintage", it needed to be made before 1930.

It is certainly a classic however, with many unique design features in an era of extreme dullness; it is well worth completing.

I sincerely hope your friend's health enables him to enjoy his efforts when the car is completed.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks - CLASSIC - that is the word I was after.

Reply to
John

Are there any forums on restoring these anywhere ?

I remember one tale I read a while ago, where I think it was a Lotus that someone was doing up when he ended up seriously ill, and the forum got to know about his condition.

On the pretence they were going to do some minor work on the car for him, they "borrowed" it - and all-hands-on-deck from the members fo the forum completed it without letting on what was happening.

The guy was then taken to a track day to take his mind off things, only to be presented with his now fully complete mint-condition car that he thought was still only about 50% done :-}

It's still that nice a tale it can bring a tear to my eye :-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

It was a Lotus Esprit. IIRC the guy was in a wheelchair.

Reply to
Doki

Doki

Quote from the link

"I was so overwhelmed, I cried like a baby and then passed out."

Brilliant, just shows there are still some nice people in the world

Reply to
Alan Smith

A similar thing happened to Terry Waite after he was freed from captivity in Beirut. His car was an MGB IIRC.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Contact a club and ask them to help out.

Reply to
Conor