Violent misfire on 1.2 Fiat Brava

Hi: :( I have a 2000 Fiat Brava 1.2 which has a really violent misfire when accelerating and the revs are around 2,500. Hot or cold engine doesn't matter. Its like the ignition has been cut to all 4 cylinders at the same time. If I keep just enough pedal to accelerate slowly then its not too bad, still misfiring but not so violent, give it more throttle than it needs, then its like the car is shaking itself to bits!!. Coil pack was replaced about 5 months (3,000 miles) ago for cutting out on no. 3 cylinder so it shouldn't be that ? Engine was behaving fine until this morning. Yesterday I filled the tank up (yes the correct petrol), topped up the engine oil and replaced the battery as the old one was starting to have a job turning the engine over.

Any ideas ?? Thanks

Ian.

Reply to
ian_sutherland

2.5k rpm sounds like it's a Lambda sensor. Had similar symptoms to that when I had a Cinquecento Sporting (closely related engine) with a failed Lambda.
Reply to
SteveH

Park it on the hard shoulder of a motorway, get out and stand behind the barrier...

Thats about as usefull as this group gets Ian.

Reply to
Phil

No need to be sycophantic. You may have a deathwish and a deep disregard for property that doesn't belong to you (namely your employer) but there are people here that give a shit about the car that they've paid good money for. Tosser.

Reply to
Dave

Yes, coil pack is faulty. This is a well known problem on the smaller Fiats of this age. A new updated coil pack with the red (used to be red anyhow) plug boots will solve your problem.

Its caused by one of the coils backfeeding HT into the LT circuit which travels back to the ecu. In order to protect itself the ecu shuts down momentarily- causing the engine to go dead.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Can't understand why people still buy FIAT, even the Italians (with any sense) don't!!

Reply to
soli

Bravas/Bravos are s**te, as are stilos, and go for a song at auctions. But, it's for a reason.

Still, rubbing that in doesn't help the poor chap now!

Reply to
David R

Fiats are okay from new upto around 3yrs old (i.e. when the warranty is active) but a complete nightmare shortly thereafter, which is why a) they are soon in the auctions and b) worth peanuts...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

No, that was the advice we give to people who give a shit. You can drive off a cliff if you want.

Reply to
David Taylor

Well, on a recent trip to Turin earlier this year I struggled to see a car that was NOT a Fiat ! The place was packed with them - never seen so many FIAT's but Turin is the home and where the head office is !

Ammusingly a good proportion of the cars parked by the roadside when I looked all seemed to have superbly bald or low tread on the tyres (on the drive wheels) - definately the Italian driving style coming in there as the taxi ride to and from the airport illustrated !!!

Reply to
a.j.beddoes

Seem quite big on their Alfa's too; load of s**te though. It's just an image things, Italian pride.

Don't see our government driving about in British motors, as they're s**te.

Reply to
David R

Well A.J. your stop in Turin must have been quite short or you were limited to walking round the FIAT factory car park where no one, not even companies producing their parts can enter unless he is driving a Fiat group car.

Some years ago the Italians turned to German models but they have since swung to Japanese.

The majority of the Fiats (group) which you have seen have been bought after having been heavily discounted. I would say that 98% of Italians who move to another make never return to FIAT!

Reply to
soli