Fiat Brava ignition problem

I have a 1.2 16V Fiat Brava 'R' reg which only runs on 3 cylinders (2nd one from the left looking at the engine. I though it was the spark plug but ruled that out when i tried the HT lead from the adjacent plug No. 3 and saw a spark. So I swapped the HT leads over at the distributer end and found that I was getting no spark when the lead was connected to no.2 outlet while there was a spark at number 3. I removed the distibuter unit and found that it is a sealed unit.

I imagine the unit costs a forune, so I would appreciate any help in confirming my diagnosis.

Thanks

ian

Reply to
ian_sutherland

Sorry, its 'W' reg, not 'R' reg

Ian

Reply to
ian_sutherland

Fairly common for the coil packs to fail on these, usually 2 cylinders down, but do fail as yours have one cylinder down.

Trip to the dealer i'm afriad, you have no choice.

Don't drive the car without disconnecting the relevant cylinder's fuel injector, else you;ll risk burning out the cat too which will cost you 3 times the price of a coil pack.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

How do i disconnect a fuel injector. Is there a plug or something to remove ?

Ian

Reply to
ian_sutherland

I assume that you are referring to a coil-pack rather than a distributor as I believe all of these cars are 'wasted spark' ignition. If this is the case then ATP Electronics on 01543 427900 can supply most coil-packs for Fiat inexpensively and also the ECU if needed. See if there is a part number on the part you want and give them a ring.

Reply to
Mike