Volkswagen Polo 1982 - What Size Socket for Steering Wheel ?

I need to order a socket to remove the steering wheel on my Volkswagen Polo C. It is a 1982 - Oct 1990 Model (up to H registration).

What size socket do I require?

Regards,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Hobley

snipped-for-privacy@hotpop.deletethisbit.co.uk (Mark Hobley) realised it was Tue,

23 Nov 2004 12:59:47 GMT and decided it was time to write:

Measure across the flats of the nut with a caliper. That's the size you need.

Reply to
Yippee

I'd guess 32mm. Either that or one size larger than the largest socket you own. That is generally how it works for me.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

unless it's a ford then it's a the size between the most common socket sizes.

The botls on the saphie cosworth exhaust manifold seem to be of the size..

"17mm and a few seconds work on the socket with an angel grinder"

I have two of these sockets if anyone needs them :o)

Reply to
Mason

its about a 22 or 24, you are cheapest off to buy a low quality set of sockets anyway, rather than one at a time

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

IIRC 25mm or 27mm

Reply to
Depresion

Ok, I bought a 15/16ths from Halfords.

Regards,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Hobley

snipped-for-privacy@hotpop.deletethisbit.co.uk (Mark Hobley) realised it was Tue,

23 Nov 2004 17:59:44 GMT and decided it was time to write:

Brilliant. That's bound to fit the steering wheel nut on a 1982 Volkswagen...

Reply to
Yippee

Also sprach Yippee :-

It's less than a two tenths of a millimeter short of 24mm.

Reply to
Guy King

Once you do find the right size (which I don't know myself) don't undo it the whole way like I did once on my car. Hurts like hell smashing yourself in the face with a steering wheel.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Guy King realised it was Tue, 23 Nov 2004

19:50:07 GMT and decided it was time to write:

Oh awright then, it'll do. But it doesn't *fit*, does it?

Reply to
Yippee

My past experiences suggest that the nut is uneccesary in the first place. When the nut is removed the steering wheel needs a great deal of persuasion to detach itself from the steering column... THAT'S when it smacks you in the face...

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

I've had a few VW wheels off and they have all come away relatively easily, the problems have always been in removing the nut as VW paint them once they are on. You need a long bar and 2 people one to hold the wheel and the other to jump up and down on the end of the bar. Oh and make sure to have the ignition on enough to remove the steering lock or you may break it.

Reply to
Depresion

Also sprach Yippee :-

Probably better than many! It'll be nice and snug.

Reply to
Guy King