What size nut is this?

Hi all. On my '76 CJ5 I need to remove the yoke from the front of the transfer case but I don't know what size that nut is that holds it in place. I'm gonna have to buy a socket for it and was wondering if anyone knows for sure what size that nut is. I didn't see it specified in my Chilton's manual. Thanks in advance for responses!

Reply to
Shaggie

Oops. Wrong newsgroup! My bad! :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

Yeah -- I was about to say . . .

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

...its a jeep....just get something slightly smaller and pound it on.

...glad I could clear tjhat up for you. ;-)

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

....ps, at least Shaggie didn't show us a picture of his nut that he's trying to "get off"

...thank goodness for Small blessings =-)

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

You can see it here just to the left of the bottom yellow circle:

's "kinda" covered with mud and grease but it's there. Trust me. Glad I could... :-D

Reply to
Shaggie

.....................The big scrap yards have what's called a crusher.

..........you're welcome!!!!

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Congratulations, Timothy. You may now proceed to the third grade, where you will learn to not only present information, but to present what we like to call "relevant" information. You can do it!

Reply to
Shaggie

Relevant information ?

Someone else must not have made it to the 3rd grade if they think a CJ5 is relevant to this newsgroup.

Randy

RSMEINER

Try to keep up Randy. I realized my mistake of posting to the wrong group and apologized for it earlier. *munches on llama burger*

Reply to
Shaggie

#10 Vise-grips and a 10-pound rubber mallet ;)

After that tears up the nut, drill out the bolt with a titanium tip drill bit or a take off the head with a grinder (my favorite tool lately ;)

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Better yet, maybe the shag could _measure_ the nut. What a concept.

Reply to
one_of_many

I don't have anything I could measure it with and it would cost more to buy something like that than it would to buy the socket I need. I'm just hoping I can get one helpful response from the Jeep guys for every 10 smartass responses I get from you guys after accidentally posting the question to this group. Actually I'm not hoping for that anymore because I already got the answer I needed.

*flips the finger at the smartasses* You know who are.
Reply to
Shaggie

We're just playing with ya for the lack of VW content.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Yep, saw that post also. Yet..........

Randy

RSMEINER

Yet what, Randy? Spit it out. What exactly is the problem you have with me? Huh? I posted to the wrong group and said I was sorry and then joked about it with a couple of people. You seem to want to continue leading up to something. What is it? Please tell me what's on your mind and get it over with.

Reply to
Shaggie

Hey, stick the nut in your pocket, walk over to the parts shop and try sockets until one fits. Is that helpfull? Or did you lose the nut? Ouch, that hurts.

Reply to
one_of_many

Oy! Just when I was thinking of putting my '52 split-window on a Jeep chassis. I'm soooooo discouraged now. Those Jeep guys are mean.

Reply to
one_of_many

Like I said, you know who you are. :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

Couldn't you just clean at least two flats of the nut, and use a caliper or even a pair of vice grips to size the outside dimension and then use a pocket scale, small steel ruler to get either a metric or ase size and then go buy the correct socket??

Reply to
Douglas