Volkswagon Polo 1991

Hi Had my car stolen have just got it back but the steering lock is broken, have bought new lock but cannot fit it, I think I need a new steering column any helpor tips on fitting this. Thanks

Reply to
suehnc

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but the car doesn't need the steering lock to run and it obviously didn't present a challenge to the sort of wooly-brained numpty who would steal a 1991 Polo.

Does everything else work OK? If so, I'd just leave it broken.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Is this the Mk2 or Mk3 version of the car? (round headlights or rectangular)

I've just stripped the steering lock from a Mk3 last weekend and took the top part of the column out with it:

Remove plastic covers under & above indicator / wiper switches (3 screws) Remove wheel by removing centre nut Remove indicator / wiper switches (2 or 3 screws) Remove 2 allen key bolts holding collumn to dash Drill out security rivet, staring with a 3mm drill in centre, then 8mm (column now drops down) Remove column by pulling hard towards you (sitting in driver's seat)

Swap lock assembly over (not tried this bit!) Refit, with new (large) revit or suitable nut/bolt.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

Seconded. Take the new lock back if you can. It's probably worth more than the car.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

When my mate's 1981 Golf got done like this, we just removed the broken bits of lock from inside the column. Like the others have said, do that.

If you mean the ignition lock barrel is broken, then to remove it you have to drill the housing in a specific place to release the spring clip that holds it into place, or get a new housing. The Haynes book usually shows where to drill, but if not, I have a drawing somewhere I might be able to find and email. If you need it, drop me an email (watch out for the spamtrap).

Reply to
Chris Bartram