Voltage drop

Recently I've noticed the alternator warning light on my car has been brighter than normal when I switch the ignition on. It goes out and stays out when the engine's running.

And there's a tendency to idle very low, also the panel lights get dim when this happens.

With the engine running and the headlights on, the voltage at the battery is

16.35V, and the voltage between alternator + and battery -ve is 16.75V.

I am sure the bright alternator warning light means something... Is it the voltage regulator or something like that?

Reply to
Mark W

That is far too high a voltage, it is likely that the alternator is faulty.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Agreed - bet your battery is fizzing away. Best dealt with asap.

Reply to
DougP

Thanks. I thought so too! It would explain things like the corrosion that keeps coming back on the battery + terminal, the rubber hoses perishing nearby... but then I went and put a new battery in my voltmeter and it now reads 12.9V engine off, 14.2V engine on - which is more like normal, isn't it?

But the alternator warning light is still over-bright...

Reply to
Mark W

I nearly put are you sure your meter is OK !!

The revised readings are absolutely OK.

Take another reading after the battery has stood overnight and before starting the car.

The low idle would give a reduced charge and slightly dimmer lights at idle, that would be expected.

Assuming your battery is OK then I would wait and see what develops.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

The volts look normal, never trust a DVM with an old battery in it. It may be worth checking the battery earth wire's connection to the body is clean, likewise the alternator may be in need of it's bolts tightening to get a better earth return, otherwise as said elsewhere you'll have to forget about it until something happens.

Reply to
Steve B

Op doesnt say what vehicle it is some vehicles do charge around the 16 volt mark

Reply to
steve robinson

Digital meters often start reading incorrectly when the (meter) battery goes down.

Reply to
Postage Stamp
[...]

Out of interest, which vehicles?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yes, unless the vehicle was fitted with a NiCad battery, I would think it unlikely. Charging voltage has to be matched to the battery type, and as pretty well all have lead acid type, then the norm is a tad over 14 volts

Reply to
Brian

Brian pretended :

Agreed - expect around 14.4v shortly after starting, the it will usually decline to around 13.8v. 16v will quickly boil a battery.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Which ones?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dunno myself but I do recall a reference to some other batteries being fitted which require a higher voltage in a thread down there V somewhere

Reply to
Malc

Yebbut nowhere near 16 volts!

Silver Calcium batteries, fitted to many cars since around 2000, *can* be charged at a slightly higher voltage. This is normally around 14.6 volts, compared to 14.4 volts for a standard battery.

Normal batteries should not be fitted to cars that have the higher charge rate; Silver Calcium can be used on cars that were intended to use standard ones.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

My old 1983 Subaru GL had a temperature-compensated voltage regulator.

Corrected for temperature, 14.4V at 25ºC equates to 15.7V at

-10ºC.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

Variations of lead acid batteries can require slightly different charging voltage - like 'calcium' types but this is only about 0.2 volts - not 2.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't know where the OP is but unlikely to be getting temperatures down to -10 at the moment.

Reply to
Brian

And of course, unless some sort of other voltage regulation was also fitted, no lamp bulb would last more than a few hours, unless someone knows where to get special 16v bulbs.

Reply to
Brian

:-)

I'm not sure the sensors, ECU, et al would survive either!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

They might, as probably it is regulated down to 5v for the ecu etc.

Reply to
Mrcheerful