Volvo T5 overheating-faulty thermostat

Hi all Many thanks for your suggestions. The thermostat was failing to open---Im not impressed with Volvo quality-a £3000 engine jeopordised by a £5 component.I suspect this is a pretty common fault on Volvos. Ive not had it on any of my modern cars Audi 80--250000miles BMW series 5 diesel 200000 miles. Modern cars to me are at least 6 years old. Thermostat took 30 minutes to replace you need a torque star type male socket to undo the thermostat housing retaining bolts preferably 1/4 inch drive although its possible with a 3/8 drive.

Reply to
THOMAS PATTON

I very occasionally T5's getting cooked from loosing coolant or the 'stat suddenly failing to open, but 90% of the time they either get lazy and open too soon or get stuck fully open.

Perhaps the Volvo white block ones tend to stick closed??

Glad you sorted it anyway.

tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

ECU would probably have shutdown, and you'd have noticed if it had gone overheat, would have been recoverable.

You want to see what cambelts do...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Oh no he doesn't....

Reply to
shaun

More likely lack of maintenance. How often do you change the coolant? If you want poor quality try owning a Laguna.

Thermostats can and do fail on pretty much any car and should be a service item IMO.

Reply to
Carl Bowman

Strangely dispite the all singing all dancing ECU on the 70 series, this is one feature it doesnt posses. :(

Current fords all have a Overtemperature limp mode which is very cunning, alternating 2 sets of cylinders at a max of 2500rpm for upto 20miles if the ambient temp isnt too high.

No, he definately doesnt.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Had a very lucky escape with cam belt. I was going to do it myself- looked relatively straightforward-decided to let the local "Volvo" independant do it =A3600 later I was lucky to still have an engine. After cam belt change engine was not its usuall instant start self-then it would not start--. Real Volvo said the cam belt was two teeth out.I asked them how it ran

2000 miles like that-no reply--. I was so happy to have a functional car did nt pursue it. Its back to chains for on my next buy. PS T5 is its usuall kick ass self--a lot of HP for the money.

Tim.. wrote:

Reply to
thomaspatton

You'll be lucky to find one on a modern engine.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

BMW, new Alfa 159, just about all Nissans..... probably more, but I can't recall them at the moment.

Reply to
SteveH

Name and shame?

My local independant did my S60 for

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

You'll be lucky to find a belt on many modern engines - they're all going back to chains.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The local garage-not Volvo-wont do any cam belts he says theres just to many things to get wrong and if it does its curtains for the engine. Ive changed umpteen belts on all types including the dreaded Toyota now Im almost 60 Im getting soft so it will be a chain drive for me. My M reg 525 TDS was chain drive cam a superb car totally dependable I always respected it in the wet and snow it never let me down and a lot of fun to drive. The T5 is even greater fun with its 230bhp but the mid 20s mpg is hard to live with the straight 6 diesel Beemer got 40mpg.

Reply to
thomaspatton

On a well designed engine there's not a big difference - the S60 was a simple belt change every 110k, the A class chain is recommended at 175k (250k in the book but 175 is a cautionary inspect and replace if signs of wear) and is a hell of a job - engine out is the book way, though many link the new chain to the old then pull it through.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Mercedes, mind you my mates got a C class 140,000 miles, cut-out on the motorway, 'look at it for me' he asked, took off rocker cover.....no chain, oh. f**** . s/h engine £700 + a couple of days, it's one of those variable valve timing engines. And it was just back from a service! I must admit I was surprised. I had an old merc 123 diesel, It had 240K and to the best of my knowledge had never had a chain!

Des

Reply to
Des

How often do you change the coolant? Every 2 years. Oil is fully synthetic change every 5000 miles-filter 10000. Apparently the turbo spindle floats on oil anything less than fully synthetic- carbon forms on the spindle with terminal results-I think there s a question of tappet sludge build up as well. If you want poor quality try owning a Laguna. Yup owned a Renault 5 once not a robust machine in salt laden Scotland.

Thermostats can and do fail on pretty much any car and should be a service item IMO.

I ve driven at least 800000 miles and I have never had a thermostat problem that includes several minis a Ford Consul Hilman Hunter several Maxis the notorious kettle on wheels the Hilman Imp an Austin 7 etc etc god these cars of my youth were the pits-I have no nostagia for them whatsover apart from the bench seat column gearchange Ford Consul.

Reply to
THOMAS PATTON