Volvo V70 Fuse Keeps Blowing

Are you sure the charging lead for the tomtom's the correct polarity?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

No 13 fuse specifically, which is a 20amp fuse for the 12 lighter sockets.

Well the problem is it keeps going. I used the lighter socket to power a TomTom and it went. So the garage put another one in and I came to use the TT again and it wouldn't charge it, then upon inspection I see its blown the fuse again. I am going to take it to the Corner Garage but wonder if anyone here could shed any light on what may be wrong. We don't use the cigarette lighter at all, we don't smoke. It gets used for the Tom Tom VERY occasionally, perhaps twice a year.

There is no rust on the end of the socket although there is a tiny little bit on the side wall of the socket, none on the lighter plug itself.

Thanks

Reply to
Ben Short

Hi Duncan

It is the plug that came with it. I had no idea there were different types to be honest. How do I find out

Reply to
Ben Short

dodgy plug that shorts out the socket is a common problem these days.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Well if you know a willing mug you could try it out in their car.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

There is a convention that the centre pin is positive, unless the lead has been changed or the socket rewired it is very unlikely that either are the wrong way round. Try your accessory in another car, if it works ok in that then you know the lead is the right way round. Get a new fuse in the car and test the socket with a multimeter, the sides of the socket should be neutral and the centre contact positive. If the fuse blows while plugging in the accessory then it is very likely that the plug is a poor fit in the socket and is shorting out somehow as you push the plug in.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

The TomTom should have a fuse inline which would blow way before a 20A car fuse. It could be that the insulator on the socket is shagged. If so plugging ANY device in the socket will blow the car fuse.

Reply to
Dick

Not if the fault is a short in the plug, as has been suggested..

Peter

Reply to
Eccles

Yes that is what I meant. A bit of wiggling of the socket should show it up if that is doing it. On my Tomtom the inline fuse is part of the plug as I think they all are. Were it the TT doing it that fuse would certainly blow before the cars one.

Reply to
Dick