VW consumption meter

If you have an Android phone / tablet and fancy a bit of cross comparison I highly recommend the Torque Lite app (free or better Pro version for not much more) and with a suitable Bluetooth dongle (eBay) plugged into your OBD port (if both exist etc), you can monitor both instantaneous and average MPG independently of the cars own system.

As per your observation the instant figures leap about all over the place unless you are holding a steady load. The average builds up over time and is therefore more representative of your overall mpg.

I used this to great advantage when helping the SIL buy a car and because we chose a 'bad / broken' model / engine combo, was quickly able to see (on a test drive) we were getting around 15 mpg not the 50 we were hoping for.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

:-)

Reply to
Gordon H

I doubt it[1]. If you assert this by looking at the accessory belt you've ignored that the electro-magnetic clutch always has its outer wheel spinning while the inner can be disconnected.

Normally the compressor won't run when ambient temperature is below 3-5C and has to cycle to avoid icing up the evaporator.

[1] I can't see all 3 being faulty.
Reply to
Scott M

I accept your point about low ambient temperatures.

I base my interpretation on:

Vectra and Corsa: faint hissing sound from fluid circulating in the system all the while the a/c is switched on.

All three: evident load on the engine. If a/c is switched off at any time the car surges forward as the load of the compressor is removed. From which I conclude that the electromagnetic clutch is always engaged when the a/c is on.

If the compressor were engaging and disengaging according to the cabin cooling requirements this change in engine load would be evident. It might well be obtrusive and unacceptable to the average driver, which is perhaps why the technique is not used, and mixing cold/warm air is chosen instead.

One of the reasons why the Corsa went back to dealer under warrany was that the compressor was indeed turning itself on & off apparently at random; and the engine lurched noticeably every time - it had all the feel of an intermittent ignition fault. Apparently the cause was that the a/c system had been filled with the wrong amount of fluid (probably too much).

Reply to
Graham J

Normal.

If you're down a long hill with the throttle pedal unpressed, your doing miles but using no fuel, so it will show ---. If you boot it hard in 1st it will drop to single figures.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

The only time I've can heard gurgles from any of mine is after I've turned the engine off - like fridges, it'll make noises when the compressor isn't running so that doesn't prove a lot :-)

All 3? I'll buy that for the Corsa if it's a 1.0, but for any reasonable sized engine with a modern scroll compressor the "boat anchor" effect isn't that great.

Do you only use it in the summer when the ambient temp is quite high? I suppose if the airflow through the evaporator is high enough then it won't get a chance to get to the down to the point of freezing up.

If you're bored(!), try have it idling with the bonnet up and the A/C on; the compressor clutch kicking in and out is pretty obvious.

Reply to
Scott M

Just an update.

I took the Touran down to Cornwall to enjoy a short break. I got the hang of the consumption meters fine on the way.

I got to Honiton and was in the Smiley cafe there having a bite to eat with the grandkids when a guy came in and asked if the new Touran was mine?

I thought he was going to start talking cars but instead he said 'I'm ever so sorry but I have just run into it'.

Luckily damage is restricted to a smashed rear light cluster and scratched paintwork on the bumper.

The car was parked, empty and locked so the guy had no defense whatsoever. In fact I though he was bloody decent, most people would have just driven off.

Currently running around in a hire car supplied by his insurance company while mine is sorted out. A two week old vehicle being hit must be nearing the record for an accident.

Reply to
Gerald
[...]

Really sorry to hear that, and yes, the guy did the decent thing.

Not a record though. A surprising number of cars are crashed on the first journey home from the forecourt!

A work colleague was turning right from a main road. A car emerged from the side road without slowing or even attempting to turn left or right. The rear quarter of his car was badly damaged, and close to a write-off. It was five days old.

The car that hit him was driven by a young woman who had passed her test hours earlier. It was her first trip on her own, and she was only 200 yards from her house. She had completely failed to find the brake pedal. She also had no idea where reverse gear was; my colleague had to reverse it out of the middle of the main road for her.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Dad, after picking up his first brand new company car, a Vauxhall Victor 1800 Auto, had done 32 miles when he stopped on the Embankment to let someone back into a parking space. As he did, a lady in a Roller punted him in the boot. Not ever so hard but enough stop the boot from shutting properly again.

One of reps where I worked got hit similarly to your first example but as turning out of the car showroom. It went in for repair and when he picked it up he had to park in a multi-story car park when visiting his first customer. As it was busy he had to park on the top and as he opened the door the wind took it out of his hand and wrapped it round the front wing. He tied the door as closed as he could and drove it straight back to the dealers ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m