VW Golf - Engine Fell Out!

Which is designed to hinder you doing your own electrics. Luckily most just ignore it for the s**te it is.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Ian Stirling saying something like:

I hope that was irony.

Probably.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The message from Grimly Curmudgeon contains these words:

Sadly there really are people out there who think like that.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Ian Stirling contains these words:

No, it's frequently to a higher standard and doesn't break down again shortly afterwards.

Reply to
Guy King

It is certainly not "designed" to do that! If you are competent it will not prevent you from doing the work, just cost you a bit of time and money. In some people's view that is a small price to pay to prevent some of the danger from electrical work improperly carried out.

Those who ignore it may find some difficulties when it is time to sell...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Either works for the trade and has an axe to grind, or hasn't a clue about vehicle maintenance. And is incredibly naive in believing everything a 'service manager' tells him.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh no? The popular conception - same as gas - is that it is now illegal to DIY electrical work. Myths put about by the likes of CORGI, etc. My next door neighbour was told by a tradesman she needed a CORGI installer to replace her *electric* oven with one of the same power consumption.

And if it costs as much to get certification and is a load of aggro as well, many might just think it easier to get a pro in.

Most of that being done by cowboys who will simply ignore regs as ever. Poor DIY work is a drop in the ocean, accident wise.

Also, consider the law abiding DIYer who needs an extra socket on an existing ring main for say a computer, etc. The cost of having this certificated will be many many times the cost of the materials. So he uses an extension lead snaking across the floor. Just which is safer in the long run?

Oh yes? Like a survey is going to check such things? It will simply be added to the list of 'opt outs' such people do to cover themselves and recommend a pro check it anyway. Would you trust some bit of paper supplied by the vendor? I wouldn't. Damp and woodworm guarantees spring to mind...

It's an other example of politicians and civil servants who couldn't wire a plug listening to commercial pressure groups - and dubious 'horror' stories in the meja - and then enacting half baked legislation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh, I agree. But if Mr Bodge the mechanic does his car up on the lawn, and sells it, the legal position is somewhat different from if Mr Bodge, working at BodgesRUs garage on the high street does the car up and sells it. Even if the work is exactly the same, done by the same person.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

My neighbour was told that it was illegal for her to move her cooker so she could clean behind it. Not disconnect it, just move it.

Reply to
Guy King

So are you saying that the above is what the regs were *designed* to achieve?

Indeed, it often is.

But the new regs don't differentiate between DIYer and cowboy!

There has already been a local prosecution of a "general handyman" type cowboy who did a poor job. He was fined heavily.

A local plumber of my acquaintance used to carry out some really dodgy installations of electric and power showers. He won't touch anything electrical since the new regs.

Oh, and if a friend or relative was harmed by some dangerous DIY electrics, that drop in the ocean would suddenly become more important.

You haven't read the new regulations at all, have you?

Except in a bathroom or kitchen, it is perfectly legal to extend an existing lighting or power circuit.

However, an extension lead snaking across the floor would almost certainly be safer than a lot of the DIY mods to ring mains I have seen!

Like everything in life, you get what you pay for. If you only pay for a "Homebuyers" survey, that's what you will get.

From recent personal experience, surveyors do pick up on apparent electrical changes made since the new regs.

As a time-served electrician of 44 years, now retired, I was initially frustrated that I would be limited as to what I could do in my own house. Now I have seen how the new regs work, I think it is about the best that could be done.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The message from Ian Stirling contains these words:

Rarely an issue for me - I have only sold one car, the others I run into the ground.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Chris Whelan contains these words:

I reckon it's one of those "unintended consequences" that the trade bodies were in no hurry to point out during consultation.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Chris Whelan contains these words:

True, but the point is that many people don't realise this. Therefore corners are cut and unsafe practices are encouraged because it's been widely touted that DIY electrical work is no longer allowed.

Reply to
Guy King

Assuming the existing circuit protection device is suitable and provides protection for the modified circuit and other safety provisions are satisfactory.

Oh - you missed out garden lighting and power, and extra low voltage lighting installations.

Well yes, but you're hardly likely to be called in to fix a DIY installation, so you're simply confirming that cowboys exist and always will.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can bet your bottom dollar they realised this long before consultation started.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

You mean some time before they started lobbying for the new rules?

Reply to
Guy King

In what way were they relevant? Unless your law-abiding DIYer wanted to compute in the garden after dark...

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Bodged DIY installations are often fixed by proper electricians when the DIYer gets out of his depth. The classic is the simple change of a light fitting. DIY-Dave puts all the reds together, all the blacks together, then wonders why it goes bang!

How does what I said confirm that cowboys exist? In any case, I never said they didn't; that is why some form of control was needed. What I did say is that so far it appears to be at least reducing the number of chancers.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Gem" saying something like:

If the bolt was last out 40,000 miles ago, you're having a laugh. Hint; you, as the driver/owner are responsible for checking these things or having them checked every so often - things loosen off and it's up to you to keep them tightened or pay somebody else to do so.

It's nobody else's fault but yours, so stop trying to pass the buck.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

Sure, it *shouldn't*, but things loosen off. See my other post.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon