VW Golf Maintenance

Can anybody advise how to switch off the alarm which sounds when

service is due. The alarm sounds every 10000 miles or 12 months whic ever is the sooner. My wife only does about 6000 miles/year so th alarm sounds every time you start the car

-- Dickydonut

Reply to
Dickydonut

Get it serviced?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Have you ever considered that it does it for a reason. Like, it needs a service?

Reply to
SteveH

What year / engine spec is your car?

Reply to
A C

Dickydonut probably services it and wants to know how to switch the alarm off.

Noz

Reply to
Nozza

Well in that case, it's in the handbook and the haynes book. It inloves holding in the trip reset while switching the ignition on, IIRC. The original post didn't mention anything abvout servicing the car though.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

-- Dickydonut

Reply to
Dickydonut

Vehicles on longlife service intervals must have the service interval indicator reset using suitable diagnostic equipment.

Vehicles on fixed interval servicing can be reset as follows:

Press and hold Right Hand button Switch ignition ON. The word "SERVICE" will appear in the trip recorder display. Release Right Hand button Turn Left Hand button to the right to reset the display. Switch ignition OFF.

Please ensure that you have serviced the car first though!

Reply to
A C

That will work on a longlife car as well, but it will switch it back to 'normal' intervals. To set back to longlife servicing you need diag equipment (a 1551/2 or VAG-COM).

Reply to
Chris Bartram

And I gave you a very simple, and perfectly valid answer. Incidentally, the same answer as three other regulars on here.

You have told me it was a simple question. If you are implying that I am simple surely I'm ideally qualified to answer?

If you had used some sense and Googled this NG first, you would have found that there are always folk asking how to override service indicators. They invariably get told the same thing, so who is simple?

Why would I not? And what do you do?

All together now...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Simple questions are sometimes asked by simple people. Without knowing your level of knowledge/expertise, a *safe* answer is to assume ignorance and advise accordingly.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

That's why it says to use the Diag Equip to change a Longlife Service

Reply to
A C

Much appreciated Chris.

I usually let my driver do the maintenance thing under the bonnet o the rolls, but times are hard, and i unfortunatly had to let hi go!!!!!! I now drive one of these blessed VW Golf'

-- Dickydonut

Reply to
Dickydonut

The car needs to be serviced once every 12 months even if the mileage is low. the oil ages even without many miles, and if the 6000 miles is stop-start driving then that is even more reason to do a service.

Everything else should be checked too - e.g inspect the brake pads, check the hoses for leaks. The MOT will only pick up on safety items, and only those that have become a problem already.

Reply to
e17paul

Dickydonut wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@autobanter.co.uk:

IMAO:

I'm afraid that even the Golf is far too flash for you if you honestly can't afford the cash to maintain it properly.

I don't see where the cost saving is in not having it serviced. In the short term, you'll need the service history to maintain it's value, and in the long term, proper maintenance will be needed to avert repair bills as much as possible.

Sorry to be harsh, but this is a car *maintenance* NG, after all.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

On 29-Jan-07 22:21:21, Stu said

I don't really understand what the problem is with the OP's question. If he chooses to do some or all of his maintenance himself, that's his choice, and asking advice on this newsgroup is surely what its for.

Why, and this is not addressed at anyone in particular, all the attitude?

:-/

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

Because the OP *didn't* say "I've serviced my wife's car properly, how do I turn off the service indicator?". Neither has he corrected the assumption that he just wants to get out of having it serviced properly.

It appears that he thinks because the vehicle only covers 6K miles a years, an annual service is not needed.

If that is the true situation, a car maintenance NG is probably the worst place to ask!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Agree with the undersigned completely, In my opinion If you cannot get a car serviced properly and on time you cannot afford the car!

Reply to
noggin

Yes that is probably true in a sense.

but these days a lot of people need a car to get around to work etc. whether or not they can really afford to service it

Reply to
banjo

In which case they`re driving round in potential death traps, and being off work for a year or more due to a serious crash because of the bad maintenance would cost them a lot more than the servicing ever would.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan