Another weird noise...

I've got a pug 206, about 8 months old. If I spin the wheels in 1st gear there is a loud knocking sound, at a frequency of about 2 or 3 Hz. Feels like the tyre is gripping, then letting go, then gripping etc. I'm sure it never used to sound like this. What can I check or look at? Something to do with the front wheel bearing, or some suspension part? Took the front right off and had a poke about but couldn't see/feel anything loose or broken.

TIA Scott

Reply to
scott

Drive more carefully it's only 8 months old, do you have to spin it everywhere?

Unless you live in the mountains and its snowing.

Reply to
Ronny

Naaah let him thrash it to death, it's another french car off the road...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

No not at all, it was only today when turning left onto a main road at a t-junction. As I pulled away I saw something appear around the corner on the main road so floored it. It was wet and it made this horrible noise. I've only ever spun the wheels maybe half a dozen times since I got it, but I don't remember it making this noise before.

Reply to
scott

OK thanks, but knowing my luck it the suspension will collapse 1 day after I've had it for a year because some fixing came loose...

1st service is 20k miles, but I will have probably sold it by then.
Reply to
scott

So? The warrenty lasts for 3 years, you'll just have to pay for your own breakdown cover.

1st service is after 6,000 or 6 months, but its not a proper service. Then 20k miles or every 2 years, whichever the sooner, with the intermediate checks offered every year/10k.
Reply to
DanTXD

Does it do it every time or just that once?

I get bouncy clunky noises from my works van in similar situations sometimes, its the spinning wheel getting grip then losing it again I think, nothing to worry about as the van isn't mine.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

^^^^^^^^

Bollocks :)

Reply to
DanTXD

What if he doesn't want to drive an MR2, or its not practical for him to own a 2 seater with sod all boot space? Or, what if he did that, and then in 3 months, the engine blew on the MR2? How much more would that cost him ?

It may not have been the best decision from your point of view, but as he said, it made him happy :)

Reply to
DanTXD

My problem is I don't have any NCB. I had my own insurance for 1 year when I was 17, then I went to uni and my mum took over my car while I away (there was no need for my car at uni, in fact we weren't allowed a car without special permission). Between finishing uni and starting work I drove my old car, but I was only a named driver on my mum's insurance.

I got some quotes for my 206 (because I have to pay for it in April), and the cheapest was around £600. I reckon an MR2 would be about £1500-£2000 for me. It would only take 2 years and that adds up to more than I would have spent on my current car.

I would dearly love an older faster car like an MR2 to drive and work on, but where I'm living now there is no space for working on it. I need to have a car that is not going to break, and if it does break I take it straight to the garage where they give me another car to use while they fix that one for no cost.

Maybe in a few years time when I have my own place with a garage/workshop then I'll be getting something a bit more interesting ;-)

Reply to
scott

My Mondeo did it. And there was horrendous scuttle shake if you pulled away with a bit too little throttle. I think it may have been a result of it being a heap of shit.

Reply to
Doki

well a engine transplant can be had for £1200 :) so even if the whole thing blew he'd still save, although yes it does have a small boot and yes it has only 2 seats and err yeah insurance would probably be silly too :)

am i the only one here that got a car based on the fastest thing i could insure? :)

Reply to
Vamp

I think it may have been a result of it

LMAO!

Reply to
Vamp

I got some quotes for me on an impreza turbo, ranged from £3500 to £7000 !!! Perhaps I will wait a few years for some NCD...

Reply to
scott

impreza? na you want an evo mate :)

Reply to
Vamp

In news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net, Vamp decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Evo? Only if it's an Integrale Evo...

Reply to
Pete M

as

Or an E30 M3 Evo. Or a 205 T16 Evo :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Nope thats what i've been doing. I've set my insurance limit at £800, which is as much as am willing to pay, and then brought the best car i could find (not always the fastest, but i probably wont find a quicker one now)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Ouch! How old are you? I'm 24, and even a Ferrari 512 was less than that (don't ask) when I got a quote in September.

Cheers, Andy

Reply to
Andy Laurence

Pretty much. The Golf is the fastest thing I reckon I could have bought and insured for £1200. Maybe a T16 could have been had, but it'd have been ropey with a capital R.

Reply to
Doki