VW LT35 engine won't rev

VW LT35 1987 6 cyl 2.4 litre DW engine. No turbo. 75000 miles on clock.

My LT35 camper van engine has got some problems and wondered if anyone has any ideas or suggestions?

Its been very difficult starting for about a three weeks but drove perfectly once I got it running. Its got worse in the past two days and now it dies if I try and rev it above tick over. I ran it for over an hour at tick over this evening in case air had got into the system, but it still won't rev and tick over often falters for a moment and then comes back to normal again. It recently had an MOT and the emissions test was ridiculously low at 0.21%. Last year when it was running ok it was 0.9%.

I've also noticed some white smoke when I remove the oil filler cap. I know on a petrol this indicates worn rings/valve guides, but is this also bad news for a diesel?

Any ideas what this might be (however wild or obvious) much appreciated as I am stuck.

Bucket

Reply to
Bucket

first thing is of course clean fuel and new filter. it does sound as though air may be getting in. if you can, then make up a temporary tank with flow and return and get it as near the engine as possible (ie eliminate as much pipework as you can). if it runs ok now then hunt the leak, if not then look at the return pipe, while running, for air bubbles and find the leak. if this doesn't make it run ok and the return is free of air then I would suspect something broken in the inj pump.

white smoke from the oil filler could show that there is a leak (probably head gasket) but might just show that it needs a good run and an oil change

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Very hard to diagnose at a distance, but it sounds like the charge pump has failed in the injection pump.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.