vw polo engine flush

I have a 1999 VWpolo 1.4cl

It has a faulty tappet and i am going to get in done this week as it taps like mad when you first start it up. My question is i have had 2 quotes both about the same, 1 garage is saying they will do an engine flush and change oil etc as well as change tappets whilst the other is saying that flushing a vw engine is not recommended...anyone got any thoughts on this as i admit i have not got a clue.

Just as a side question i have been lazy and not sorted this tappet out for about 3 months will it have caused any damage??

Thanks for your help

Chris

Reply to
chris

as it taps

2 quotes both

flush and change

that flushing a

as i admit i

I'm not a great advocate of flushing engines myself. IMO there is a risk of releasing larger chunks of crap within the engine that could block or reduce the oil flow, especially through smaller galleries, in particular like those that feed the hydraulic tappets themselves. I'd recommend just changing the oil, filter, and tappets without flushing.

tappet out for

It may have increased the wear on the cam lobe and valve stem very slightly. Certainly not by any significant amount, or enough to affect a new tappet. Hydraulic tappets can absorb quite a lot of wear before they become noisy. The one in the car may just have become sticky, or has partly siezed up. Fitting new ones should make the valve gear much quieter. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G