VX Omega suspension noise ?

My M Reg (1995) Vx Omega has developed a knocking/tapping noise when I drive the car, and the car bounces when the road is not dead smooth. If I manually bounce the car at the nearside front it bounces and then damps fine, but the knocking/tapping noise occurs, and I can feel a vibraton at the top of the suspension strut when the noise occurs. It is like something inside the strut is catching or rubbing when it bounces. I can't see any worn bushes around the front suspension, but I haven't got an inspection pit to check thoroughly. Is it likely that a strut could fail in such a way that it still appears to spring and damp OK, but something is broken inside ? Any other suggestions to the cause ? Regards Tony

Reply to
Tony Benham

Likely to be the anti-roll bar drop-links. Specifically the ball joints in the ends of the drop-links. Apprx £10-15 per side.

JB

Reply to
JB

Or it could be the roll bar bushes themselves but this is not likely to show up on a bounce test.>

Reply to
Gary Millar

I had this problem. Dealer diagnosis was shock absorber. £400 quid later it was the same. Ooops sorry we'll check again. This time it was diagnosed as the bush at the top of the suspension arm ( whatever!) It was and they showed it to me. Been compressed. Another £170 but 10% discount for mis-diagnosis the first time. Immediately sold it and bought a Mazda.

Reply to
Rob