warranty probs

Six months ago we bought a new astra 05 plate damaged/repaired. had the first service done and was advised my warranty was void cos the car had been previously damaged though not recorded, overspray underneath gave it away! although the front n/s corner and n/s suffered damage the engine was untouched. now i have starting problem vauxhall wont help. I can understand the anti-corrosion warranty being void but mechanically it should be covered shouldnt it? ive explained where the work on the car was done but no luck. anyone had a similar experience?

Reply to
chunkybear via CarKB.com

Maybe i'm missing something here...

05 plate - new - first service ?
Reply to
Colin Wilson

You can buy pre-registered cars. The main dealer such as Lookers will buy a few and register them to make it look like they have met their sales targets for a particular time. Then they sell them off cheap, but still make a hefty profit. So you can buy a brand new car with one owner for a lot less than it would cost compared to a current registration. Most cars sold are not new anyway, they are stored in fields and compounds for years before people get them unless built to order. So he has a new car and is having the first service at 6months. Also note you DO NOT need to have a new vehicle serviced by a main dealer or the garage you bought the car from. They will lie and tell you this is the case, but it isn't. You can take it anywhere you like and are not tied to the main dealership. Most independant garages have posters advising customers, but it is not recognised enough. People could save a fortune and in the case of Masterfit would not have the "parts replaced/fitted if applicable/appropriate" clauses in the invoices. Pay for a service and you can't be sure any work will be done if everything "looks OK". It's a joke which is why Trading Standards went after my local Masterfit.

Reply to
pete

bought the car used. it used be a bsm learner car and they promptly bent it. we then bought it, and had the repairs done. the car is unrecorded as bsm are self insured so they bend em and flog em. any way vauxhall voided the warranty as the car had been bumped and not repaired by them. it was six months old when we got it so hadnt even had its first service which is why we got lookers to service it. now we have a starting prob (nothing to do with bump) and they wont honour warranty. I can see the point with the anti corrrosion warranty but mechanically car is untouched.

Reply to
chunkybear via CarKB.com

You need to read the terms of the warranty.

Reply to
adder1969

That is a heap of class one bullshit.

Accident damage has no bearing on the standard mechanical warranty. Off course, should something go faulty, which can be attributed to the accident damage or repair work, then warranty on that item will be void (something like a bent pipe that fails a few months later, or some wiring that's not been secured properly that then chaffs through), but everything should still be covered.

Personally I'd find another dealer (ideally not one that's pure purpose in life is to line the pockets of shareholders with as much dough as possible!).

Reply to
moray

thanks moray, will go to another dealer and find out the score. This is exactly how i read it. The engine warranty and such should only be void if you miss servicing and such!! or indeed damaged as a result of the accident. but i can say hand on heart the engine was and still is untouched.

Reply to
chunkybear via CarKB.com