What did they do?

Evening Chaps,

My 1997 Mk2 Mondeo went in for its MOT yesterday. They had to do some work, which I was expecting because it was advised at my last service (I have all my servicing/work done at a local garage that I trust).

Anyways, I collected my car yesterday evening and after going to work and back today I noticed that the car seems to rev more freely than it did before the MOT. It also feels a lot quicker off the mark. The difference is quite hard to describe, but it's like the acceleration I used to get by flooring it now happens about 3/4 of the way down the loud pedal.

Also (and I might be imagining this cos I was driving the wife's car yesterday) the accelerator seems to be slightly stiffer than it was, i.e. there's more resistance behind it.

I can't for the life of me think what they did. Perhaps I'm imagining things. The clock was wrong when I got the car back so they've obviously disconnected the battery but surely an ECU reset wouldn't have produced effects this noticeable?

Here's the work that was done:

- Replace N/S/F anti roll bar link. - Replace O/S/F track rod end. - New front to rear brake pipes. - New N/S/F tyre. - New numberplate light.

Perhaps it was the new number plate light that did it? ;-)

Anyway, thoughts would be appreciated. I'm intrigued as to whether I'm imagining things or not.

Thanks,

Reply to
Mr Roflcopter

Rectify binding handbrake?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Shifted yer carpets from under the loud pedal ? ;)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Your car accelerates better now your wallet is empty?

Reply to
Chris Dugan

Well, the only serious suggestion (cheers shazzbat :-) wasn't mentioned on the work summary. I guess it could still be a possibility - one thing I have noticed about three times in the last year or more (usually in cold, wet weather) is the handbrake didn't disengage usually, after it's been standing overnight.

I guess I'll make doubly sure on the way to work tomorrow and if I'm still surprised by the difference I'll give the garage a call and ask them if they did anything that they didn't charge me for (which is possible - I know them quite well).

Cheers for the other replies - at least they gave me a laugh! :-)

Reply to
Mr Roflcopter

Wind changed direction?

Reply to
Michael Cotton

The carpets thing actually happened :) Was 2 or 3 piled on top of one another though.

I should mention a neighbour who was telling me his brakes were "a bit keen" since the service and he never remembered them being so effective even when new. A few days later when I asked, he told me with no hint of embarrassment that the mechanic must've moved the drivers seat forwards a bit, and when he moved the seat back slightly the brakes went back to normal....

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

embarrassment

LOL - Brilliant!

I remember my brakes significantly improving once when I got a new pair of shoes.....

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The message from "Tony Bond \(UncleFista\)" contains these words:

I had a learner who decided to adjust her seat in the middle of a really steep hill-start - in traffic. Silly moo without warning grabbed for the release, and of course, the seat shot back downhill, her feet came miles from any pedal, and 'cos the hill was steep and she was heavy I couldn't push her back uphill again.

Reply to
Guy King

Took the slack out of the throttle cable?

Reply to
Peter Hill

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Mr Roflcopter saying something like:

The youngest mechanic took it out for a spin and bounced it off the redline every straight he could find.

It's called an 'Italian Tuneup'.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon