Wax

Well once it's up then a good wax will protect it, super resin's a polish (albeit a very mild one), so you shouldn't need to use it if you keep a decent coat of wax on top (Autoglyms sell extra gloss sealant for this)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I have been using Autoglyms Super Resin Polish and its brought my car up very nicely. Someone told me though to use Collinite Auto Wax No 476, is it any good? Is it better than the AG stuff as it's double the price so thought I would ask here first.

Thanks

Reply to
Ben Short

A polish is abrasive & abrades the surface till it's smooth, a wax covers up the scratches & leaves a nice shiny surface. If you use the wax you only need to use the polish very occasionally & it's a lot easier.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I use the resin polish and the extra gloss protection, would I benefit from using this 476 too. I don't honestly know the difference between a polish and a wax. Thanks

Reply to
Ben Short

Understood thanks Duncan, very much appreciated.

Do you know if the 476 is a good wax?

Reply to
Ben Short

I've not tried it, but to be honest I've found all the branded ones are better than the effort I can be arsed to put into the preparation:-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In message , Duncan Wood writes

I can't remember when I last bothered to polish a car, except when somebody scarred it with a shopping bag or something at the supermarket. I go to a hand wash for £3, but I give them £4 if they promise not to wax the windscreen.

Reply to
Gordon H

Ah, the idiot returns.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

You would be best finding a car detailig web site or forum. It is a collection of people with an OCD or fetish for cleaning and polishing and waxing cars! They do lots of mad things like correcting the paint finish, polishing, using clay, waxing, you name it and they do it. The only thing they don't do is kill their own sheep to make a wash-mit. Polish is different to wax, polish will give the paint finish a shine, wax will protect it. You should really clay the car before polishing to remove all surface contamination. It takes hours, if not a full day to clean, polish and wax a car properly!

Reply to
John Veldman

Yup, but no point in perpetuating confusion. (& clay isn't magic, if you keep wax on your car you don't need it & if you've polished it then you'll have removed all the surface contaminants)

Reply to
Duncan Wood
[....]

Indeed, although that post was pretty much on the money!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

My thoughts also - has the leopard changed it's spots, or was it just a "thousand monkeys & typewriters" fluke?

Reply to
Steve Walker

I'm going to take a wild guess.

Reply to