What car to replace nicked 2.0 SRi cav?

Wouldn't have minded so much but I spent hours out in the freezing cold yesterday patching up the top hose spigot on the rad, and then got up this morning to find There it was, gone :-(

It was 1987, bit over 100K, pretty tatty and getting unreliable so I was thinking of getting something newer but I'd have liked to have decided when for myself.

So what're the options? I've looked at Vaxhalls on autotrader's web site but there isn't a lot around at the moment. Only thinking of them because we've had them before and they've been reasonably easy/cheap to fix and not total rustbuckets (unlike some Four-letter makes :-). Just really want a hatch or estate, 4/5 doors, enough oomph to tow a caravan, and not red (SWMBO says ;-). And under £1K.

VWs are supposed to be good but always seem a bit more expensive. Some of the Japanese/far-eastern cars are supposed to be reliable but I don't know what are good ones. What about diseasels? What size would be equivalent to a 2 litre petrol in towing ability (can live without drag-racing acceleration) and what mileage on a diesel is 'equivalent' (in terms of engine life) to say 100K on a petrol (yes I know it depends on how well it's been maintained, oil changed etc - but all other things being equal)?

Someone suggested ex police cars. Are these worth pursuing (as it were :-) and if so where do you get them from (Reading area)? Is it true they take out the standard engine and put in their own souped-up one while they use them, then replace the original engine when they sell them? Or is this urban myth?

Oh, and if you do see a tatty white old-style Cav with roof bars and a tow bar, D264WJM, (probably not far from Reading as there was no cooling on the engine when they nicked it) please let me and/or the rozzers know ...

Reply to
John Stumbles

John Stumbles ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Did you hear a 7.5 ton wagon in the night? I'll bet it's been taken by pikeys and already weighed in for scrap.

Reply to
Adrian

Commiserations.

Dunno about Reading but we get a few in auctions around Gloucestershire. They don't seem to go for less than =A31k though.

I'd go for a Jap car if I were you. Dozens of them around and they're fairly reliable from what I've seen.

--=20 Malc

Reply to
Malc

'salright - we're bringing your damn car back toinite - it was leaking stuff all over the place ;-))

Reply to
Georgeous Georgia

Funny, I ruled out Cavs years ago for just that reason. Underbonnet & rear arches???

Peugeot 405. Excellent value and galvanised bodies, which is why you don't see rotten ones. Loads of choice in options & engines.

Toyota Carina is bulletproof if bland. Don't rule out things like Saab

9000s and Merc 190/230 unless insurance is a major issue - but if you've been driving an SRi it shouldn't be. Lovely cars, good value at a few years old - the G-plate Saab I had cost me £650 with FSH, full T&T and new tyres!

You'll need a turbo diesel for any sort of performance. It's generally reckoned that you need a bigger diesel engine for the same power, but diesels have more torque which is the important factor when towing. So the same size of diesel engine has good towing ability - it won't be as fast but will keep going up hills! I suspect you'll get better value in a petrol engine in your price range. The only real advantage of diesels is economy.

The latter I think.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

My Alfa 155 TSpark. L-plate, loads of history, no rust worries and decent performance ;-)

Cheap as chips.... £600 ono.

Reply to
SteveH

How about something like

mine I hasten to add but I am a fan and on my second plenty of grunt four wheel drive to get you out of those dodgy farm sites low box if its really bad and not too thirsty unless you cane them or if you are barking the turbo for rally nutter performance . Derek

1.8 16v Legacy
Reply to
Derek

Is that a hatch? Had a feeling that was a saloon.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

It's a saloon.

Reply to