What engine damage?

Hi guys.

This happend last night, bear with me and see if it makes sense.

Was driving in the 77GT Celica (2 litre TC 18R-G engine) when suddenly i looked in the mirror and got a damn huge trail of smoke, thick as fog, it was nighttime but i could smell it, exactly like when a F1 car lets go. I felt no loss of power but i noticed the oil pressure wasnt as high as it should be, i was going up hill in 3rd, it looked as if the needle was a tickover with warm engine. I got no red light or nothing (oil pressure gauge isnt in line of sight, its offset far side console). I heard a rattle, to me it sounded like a rattly timing chain in a cold engine. I stopped, took a look at the dipstick, no gunge, just nice clean cams in the filler cap so i saw no oil/water, mayo. I added more oil, started it which it did first time and the oil pressure came back.

I couldnt stop there as it was dangerous just after a blind bend, anyway the smoke sometimes stopped and didnt. Like i said it felt fine on power, i kept the revs low and i got about 5 miles then i switched off myself, i cant get to the car for a couple of days, other side of the city now, but with what i had said, what engine damage do you think?

I can do a compression test when i get to it, but i think i will be struggling for parts in the short term, im in a car club so im going fone the people who know about this engine when i can dig out the #'s.

I guess if the oil didnt circualte and suddenly dropped, im looking at mass friction wear. The engine was great.

ANy help would be app.

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

"Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales" wrote in message news:gWhUd.232128$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

I had this once on a car and it was because the engine was OVERFILLED with oil be carefull you have not done this.

Reply to
Gary Millar

"Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales" wrote in message news:gWhUd.232128$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

have you sorted your water leaks? what was the temp gauge doing? if it was very hot having run very low on water then it is quite possible for overheated piston oil control rings to fail and allow oil into the top and it burns giving smoke, the rattling might be pinking caused by overheating. likewise the oil pressure drops if too hot.

unless it runs fine when cooled down then your best bet is a second-hand engine, I would guess.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Yes i have seen that before, where its buring it, but would that cause a loss of pressure?

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

overheating.

The water temp looked ok, i was actually driving over to fit the new rad.........now im thinking the 2 could be related.

These engines are gennerally pretty bullet proof and i could never get my hands on a spare, im looking at that now, the 2 litre SC engines are common, not the TC although i know the blocks the same.

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales ( snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Is there an oil cooler on it? Could it just be that a pipe to that's leaking badly?

Reply to
Adrian

"Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales" wrote in message news:gWhUd.232128$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Sounds like a piston let go, hopefully just the rings.

Reply to
Taz

There is a large breather pipe. but not a cooler IIRC.

I know too much oil can be bad. I should be able to get to the car midweek. Im still not sure why the oil pressure stayed low, would have expected the warning light to come on, but it seems this car didnt have one although i know my 79 Generation 2 does

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales ( snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Is that still attached? When did you last clean or change the breather? Assuming the breather heads to the air filter casing, does that get oily? Could the pipe have come off and the engine be breathing heavily, causing it to glug a load of oil out?

Reply to
Adrian

No that was the first thing i looked at, i was hoping it was something like that

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

Crankshaft oil seal?

Reply to