what size are 10mm bolts (oh yes :-) )

I've managed to lose two of the 4 bolts holding the pulleys onto a water pump (Amica). A 10 mm spanner fits the heads of these (flanged) bolts - but what size would they be (so I can seek some out on ebay). Thanks

Reply to
dave

a 10mm flange head bolt will generally have an 8 mm thread.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

tvm

Reply to
dave

I could be wrong, but 4x M8 bolts just for a waterump? They may be M6 threads. As I said, I could be wrong as I have indeed come across those that MrC mentioned. Take one of the remaining bolts to a fastener place or motor factors? JB

Reply to
JB

Jeez. Get a vernier caliper (or even a bloody ruler) and measure the two you still have rather than ask such a pathetic question on here.

Reply to
Dave Baker

... and don't lose it !!!!

Reply to
Graham J

A really quick and easy measure available in the average tool box is to use an open ended spanner, keep going down in sizes till you find one that closely fits over the threaded bit. Taking an existing bolt to a car shop or a motorbike shop is probably the simplest way for most folk to get a suitable replacement.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Hey Bozzo-censor, it's people like you that put people off using NG's. (But not me). I see thickos like you all the time. For the past

25 years at least. Now some enligtenment that the other folk are obviously aware of and you are not. There is such a thing as coarse and fine metric threads AND the possibility on this car that the bolts are not metric at all! They might "fit" but only a thicko like yourself would use them. I know this FOR SURE - so it's not just the diameter you clown. Try and learn a few simple if you can things before insulting people.
Reply to
dave

Oh I forgot to say to Baker

Reply to
dave

Yes shit for brains. It's not just the diameter. It's that plus the thread pitch which any reasonably competent h*mo sapiens should be able to measure without having to ask other people to guess based on just the bolt head size which is a complete variable.

Hey, just get an older brother or sister with a more fully functioning cerebellum to do it for you. You clearly don't have the wit to do it for yourself.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Nah, M8 is usually 13mm head. 10mm head would usually be M6. M5 is 8mm head.

Reply to
Adrian

not when they have a flange, they usually have a reduced head diameter, your figures are correct and standard for ordinary set bolts.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I wondered about that too as a 10 mm spanner fits a 6mm bolt head here. But not sure about 'flanged head'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So even less reason to ask what thread it is with just the 'a spanner I have sort of fits it' information.

Why not remove one of the bolts you haven't lost and give the TPI and diameter? Or just pop to your local dealer for maker's spares?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

At a guess size 42 and a bit

You're welcome