Broken water pump bolts

When trying to replace the water pump on my 92 lx 5.0 I managed to break 3 of the bolts, 2 of which are deep inside the timing chain cover.

These bolts are pretty long, and its hard to tell if they pass through the timing chain cover and thread into the block itself, or if they thread into the cover.

I would like to buy a new timing chain cover and new bolts, rather than try to bore out the broken bolts. Do any of the water pump bolts go into the block? If so then this solution won't work (although with the cover off the bolts would stick out and maybe I can unscrew them with a vise grip or something).

thanks

Reply to
chron78

Yes. Some of the bolts go all the way thru the cover. I think there are 4. They are the ones at the extreme left and right. They are above and below the water exit passages to each bank of cylinders.

Reply to
Tiger Pilot

Usually, these bolts will corrode into the aluminum of the front cover -

*usually*.... You shoul dbe able to get the front cover off and the reaminder of the bolts should come out fairly easily....

Inexperience has cost the original poster a good deal of frustration..... try to avoid having it cost too much money...

Reply to
Jim Warman

What could have been done that would have avoided the bolts snapping off?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I put "Neversieze" on my bolts when reassembling parts. If the bolt in question needs to have a locking compound on it then I use the locktite on the last 4 or 5 threads and neversieze the remainder of the bolt.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to

I didn't think the original poster was the person who put the pump on. He was just the person taking it off.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher