When replacing circlip cv joint to driveshaft, do I need to fit a new driveshaf?

The circlip is missing, CV joint to driveshaft, Mondeo Mk3 2.0 litre diesel. My garage says it will have to fit a new drive shaft as well. Is this true or is it a con? No other problems, drive works OK.

Reply to
Del Faulkner

You can buy the circlip on its own, if the groove is damaged it is another matter.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

That depends on why it's missing?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

surely then they would say that the driveshaft or joint is damaged (missing its groove for example) Not the circlip is missing, the whole shaft must be replaced, and quite how they would find that out in normal servicing is a question.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

When the suspension is all assembled, isn't the circlip actually redundant?

Reply to
newshound

Maybe, but the inner joint is the one that is made to be able to slide sideways, so if both ends could slide then maybe if the shaft slipped back out of the outer joint at some limit of suspension or steering movement then maybe it could be 'cocked' and jam or even come out completely.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Good point, although I don't believe a round circlip would normally tolerate any real axial load under dynamic conditions. I guess it is flooded with lubricant, which will help. I still suspect that it is designed so that nothing can come out at any suspension/steering combination if it failed.

Reply to
newshound

I once had a peugeot 405 drive shaft in the vice, using a slide hammer to try to remove the outer joint, it would not come off, full stop. I put the new boot on from the other end using a cone as a way round the problem.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Having resorted to the Thor#5 on some ver the years they can take a suprisingly large dynamic load.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I don't mean a few thumps with a slide hammer, I mean getting a thump every rev depending on the suspension position. I would expect this to cause fretting wear of the groove, and ultimately fatigue of the shaft or the circlip.

Reply to
newshound

Given it has to survive the torsional load and the axial displacement is internal to the inner cv joint I doubt it's normally an issue.

Reply to
Duncan Wood