Hydraulic lifter-How to tell which one's broken?

Er, as the subject really. An intermitant clacking from the top of my engine leads me to believe a hydraulic lifter is not always working. However I'm sure when I remove them they'll all look the same. Any tips?

Cheers

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Change the set. Then you won't find after changing just one that either A it was the wrong one, or B that one of the others objects to the disturbance and starts rattling the next day, or C that the others, being the same age, fail in succession over the next year or so.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

When it starts clacking, shut off before it pumps up and remove cam cover(s). Measure gap on each one with feeler gauges just as you would a shimmed tappet. The ones with extra wide clearances are duff. On motors with rockers you may be able to tell just by feeling for play in rocker.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Ah, good plan. Ta.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

A fair point and as it turns out they're only 7quid each I may as well just change them all.

Ta

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

I don't think you get any play with hydraulic tappets do you? They always have some degree of preload on them.

Reply to
SimonJ

Or you can stick them in a vice & it becomes really obvious which ones dead when you see how easily the close up. However (unless it's a CVH) it's always worth changing the lot anyway. New Camshaft plus lifters is often economic, check the price for a kit.

Reply to
DuncanWood