Who says all fuels are the same?

Who told you that!? Woohoohoohoohoo...etc. ;o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

[...]

Yes, Optimax is good stuff. I've seen stations listing it for 89.9p, but if you shop around you can find it for 84.9p. Strange name though, could be also used for an optician or for optimisation software.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

My wife will echo this. Her old TD escort used to be a dog on anything but shell - when it had poewr to rival a saturn-5 rocket. With BP in it's tank it blew crap out the back in large clouds - the Shell was the only fuel to make it happy.

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

If it's a fairly consistent difference, could that not mean that it's simply the calibration of the pump that's out (i.e. you're actually getting less fuel pumped from the pump per litre on the display from the Tesco pump) or the fact that it's clicking sooner? A real fair test would be to run the tank empty, fill to the first click from Tesco, then run it empty, fill to the first click from the same pump at Tesco, note that figure, then run it empty again, brim it with the Texaco pump, run it empty, then brim it with the Texaco pump again (ideally the same pump) and then note that figure. This may take a while depending on your mileage, but it's the only way to properly prove it's not just a reasonable difference in the pumps.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Can anyone recommend the diesel fuel of choice for a Pug/Citroen engine? I want saturn-5 performance too.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

60/40 slurry of BP Diesel & ammonium Nitrate. But I didn't tell you that cos that really can make your car go fast, very fast in many different directions.
Reply to
DuncanWood

You're missing the point. The engine runs fine on supermarket petrol, it just appears to run better on "quality" petrols.

Reply to
DervMan

I have one better. I fill the car, Charlie drives it. She takes very little interest in the petrol that goes into the car, indeedy she's either asleep when I fill (because we're on our way home from some far flung destination) or I do it with her elsewhere. Point is, she doesn't know what petrol is in the car.

And the number of times she's said, "oooh what's wrong with the car?" or "have you had the car serviced?" when I change brand of petrol?

Twice. Once after a period of running on ASDA petrol, then we moved and the Shell was easier to get to "have you had Kermit serviced?" The second time when I filled up at a supermarket in Wales, and we swapped driver on the way home, "what's wrong with the car, it's gutless."

I can imagine and speculate and hope that Shell / BP / ASDA / Tesco / whatever have a difference in their petrol, but my evidence is my wife, who knows not where I buy the petrol, merely states her opinion at that moment! ;)

Reply to
DervMan