Why SUV?

Purchase tax for new cars in Denmark is very high ~200% added. The excemption is commercial vehicles, e.g. a van or an estate version of a car with no side windows apart from the driver's row, or a pick-up car. The pick-up could also be a version of an US V8 2-seater muscle car, a popular loophole as it would cost the same as private plate VW beatle. Nevertheless, there used to be a rule that such yellow plated cars were not allowed to drive on sundays as there was no commercial purpose. Possibly to stop a flood of bypassing the 200%.

Reply to
johannes

These type of cars were popular with the Taliban, as always shown in the news.

Reply to
johannes

I'm surprised the Jewish lobby didn't stop that.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Used to be something similar in the UK with purchase tax. Which made Mini vans popular as a first time buy, as they cost about half that of the car. But at one time were restricted to 40 mph.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This would also catch most motor homes. I wonder how often this is enforced?

I would also like to be able to see a listing of the unladen weight of all UK motor vehicles (or at least those up to 3,500 kg GVW). [Looking for a heavy tow car.]

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Hardly ever, the police don't want to upset OLAMOTP.

There use to be a site with a good list, but I can't find it. What Car gave tow weights in an easy to browse fashion: Subarus claim 2,000 kg but it's marginal. A6, A8, 7 series, S class, Maybach are possible but not an obvious choice just for towing. Some Passat estates may manage. Or almost any proper, large 4x4, obviously.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Dunno about current ones, but the Disco used to be one of the heaviest 'cars' around.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)