Willful spark plugs

Best to use a proper, dedicated plug socket, extension bar and socket handle. Normal new plugs (with an unsquashed washer) are put in with only hand grip pressure on the extension bar until the washer touches the head, then you turn with a handle by anothe half turn.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

hi, novice related to Homer Simpson put spark plugs in ten year old corolla GLI 1.3 and had the embarrassment of his son having to call the AA because the car was losing power whilst he was driving it. the plugs were busily unscrewing themselves. the AA man said I had not put them in tightly enough.

the problem is I'm always scared of stripping threads I'm now not sure of how much 'wellie' to give them the next time. I don't want the expense of a torque wrench.

is there any way someone can explain to someone of my talent, just how much to tighten up these plugs please? guess it's not an easy thing to communicate.

many thanks for any help. john west

Reply to
j west +++

j west +++ ( snipped-for-privacy@REMOOVEhotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

"A good tight nip", no more.

If it's an ally head, NEVER EVER EVER put plugs in a hot engine.

Reply to
Adrian