Wiper motor won't stop

Last night I had the windscreen wipers on and at some point, whilst on 'intermittent' position, they started wiping at normal speed.

They wouldn't stop, wiping at normal speed in all positions except in double speed position, they ran at double speed.

After a few minutes they turned back to normal and stopped. After that it was all working as usual.

Does that sound like a 'park position sensor' at fault? I've heard of them but never seen one. Is it usually inside the motor and can it be replaced or adjusted?

Reply to
Mark W

Only types I've had apart were made by Lucas and they had simple points operated off a cam. Not sure how they could jam closed, though - open or dirty is far more likely.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What vehicle? Not a Sharan/Alhambra/Galaxy by any chance?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It happens that Mark W formulated :

It is just a switch, operated by a cam on the motors gearbox. They usually fail such that they fail to park - permanently open. Yours seems to have failed as a permanently closed set of contacts or there is something else shorting it out.

If it repaired itself, it may be that some water got in there or the wiring - better to see if it happens again. They could be repaired and adjusted in the older cars, but I'm wary of suggesting the modern ones can be adjusted or even checked. If it comes to it, get one from the scrapers rather than waste time trying to repair.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You mean a Sharambraxy?

Reply to
Paul Cummins

:-)

That would be one word for them...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

More than likely a faulty intermittent relay. If the contacts in the relay stick it will keep running at normal speed.

John

Reply to
John

I'm considering one - or a Zafira.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Hardly in the same category of car... the Sharambraxy is huge, pretty much a full-sized people carrier. A Zafira would struggle with a week's worth of shopping with all seats in place.

Reply to
SteveH

Not planning to use it with all seats in place most of the time.

I just need it to be able to carry me, missus, 2 kids, 2 grandparents and a great-gran every so often.

The Galaxy has the disadvantage of non-standard tyre sizes...

The Zafira has the disadvantage of being a Vauxhall.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

That's peanuts oin the grand scale of costs

Try driving it round a corner....

Reply to
Duncan Wood