Wiper motor stops... over heating?

My '66 wiper motor stops after a few minutes of being turned on. So I do the manual intermittent wipers thing : P

It was converted to12 volt before I bought it, and the wiper motor didnt work. So I borrowed the wiper motor from my '69. I didnt change out the wiper assembly because my 69's was all worn out.

Now for a few questions...

I am using the old 6 volt switch ( I assume- it is a pull on switch with only one speed, on and off) is /was this correct for a '66? the 12 volt switch post and dash nut from the '69 has a larger diameter and would not fit into the dash hole on the '66 and I refused to enlarge the hole on the dash.

Was there a "park" feature on the old 6 volts wiper switches/motors? Mine wont park.

Why does my motor stop after a few minutes of operation... then will start back up a few minutes later.... over heating? No grinding noises, smelly smells or smoke and when i wired the 12 volt motor to the single position 6 volt switch, I wired the High setting on the motor. (Yes, I have both wiring diagrams for a '66 and a 69.)

And finally - will a later style assembly with bolt on arms with splines (not the set screw type) and round motor, like on a 72 standard, fit the holes in my 66's cowl.

If it will then I want to completely replace my wipers assembly, if not then maybe its time to do some custom fabrication, because the old wiper assemblies and motors on beetles just suck - IMO.

**************************************************************** dragenwagen 1966 Type I - Daily Driver 1969 Type I - Undergoing heater channel replacement
"Old VW's Don't Leak Oil, They Mark Their Territory."****************************************************************
Reply to
dragenwagen

They will overheat if the grease in the gearbox is over 37 years old. If it's not dried out grease, the brushes might be worn, but that shouldn't cause overheat. A shorted winding inside the armature will overheat it too.

6V did have Park feature. There are some simplified diagrams on my web site.

Later wiper assemblies won't fit; the holes in the cowl are larger and the spacing is different.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

That's a headlight switch!

Get a wiper switch (connectors on back for washer tubing) which has the right terminals to let you wire it up properly, including getting the "park" feature to work... The "park" feature works just fine in my '61 so it should be there... but the right switch wired the right way is crucial.

Reply to
Red Bug