www.motinfo.gov.uk

Where's it gone?

Just got back from MOT and want to check things and the damn site is gone!

Reply to
Mark

pikeys have had it !

what do you need to know ?

Reply to
reg

Everything :-) Seriously, just confirmation all the info is there as man had to write out cert by hand as phoneline down.

Reply to
Mark

yeah pain in the arse when the lines go down, did he issue you with a red emergency ticket ? if he did you can exchange it for a full one when he can get access again to the data base.

Reply to
reg

There don't seem to be DNS records for it anymore. Another government cockup?!

Reply to
Darran Ames

The records were probably left on a train. Nobody at the Government has noticed yet.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Sorry to hijack the thread but can you tell me if an operational speedo is required for the test?

May car is due in a couple of days and the speedo has decided to go west, probably with all the rain, so before i cancel test i would like to know if it is needed for the test.

TIA

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Tom Burton wrote: [...]

All you ever need to know about the MOT is here:

My brief, unqualified perusal suggests it is not a testable item.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

"Tom Burton" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It's not testable.

I'll second Chris's recommendation of

- if it ain't listed in the tester's manual as an explicit "reason for rejection", you can't fail for it.

Reply to
Adrian

Like the one I had once: horn not loud enough

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Mrcheerful" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Just as well that is listed, then...

Reason for Rejection: c. the sound emitted by the horn is not loud enough to be heard by another road user

Reply to
Adrian

very open ended though. My horn could be heard by road users, if they were cyclists or had a quiet car. Many/most horns cannot be heard by lorry drivers for instance, especially if you are behind them, but they are not failures, they are just not loud enough for that job.

At the time I thought it was a bit on the petty side (a long, long time ago), but I changed the horn, took it back and paid for the re-test.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Mrcheerful" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I once had a set of airhorns on a 2cv - the tester was short his assistant so had me helping... He had his head under the bonnet, saw the standard electric squeeker - and asked me to test the horn. He turned out to be about three inches from the business end of the airhorns, which he hadn't noticed. Until then.

It wasn't my fault. Honest.

Reply to
Adrian

skip forward to about 1:30

Reply to
Abo

Back up now.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

lol!!!

Reply to
Redwood

Strange, I was just talking about this earlier today..

A while ago I had half a dozen run-ins with idiots* on the road that were bad enough for me to want 'make them aware of my presence' - which I very rarely do.

The standard horn was so weedy - 'meep' - that I went out and bought a nice pair of Stebel Magnum horns (139dB) and fitted that instead.

Since then I don't think I've used it for real once. Typical. The MOT tester noticed it though. He asked me to warn him next time ;-)

Reply to
PCPaul

You should've gone back with one of these:

Whilst childish, and arguably dangerous, some of the videos on that site are worth a brief watch - e.g.
Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

You do realise that the horn can be of an unacceptable tone !!!!! Apparently they must not be strident.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Mrcheerful" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Apparently not. The only thing which comes close is...

e. for a vehicle first used on or after 1 August 1973, a sound emitted by the horn is . harsh or grating.

Reply to
Adrian